Acceleration Shudder.

FendtLad

Member +
Hi all, Just wondering if anybody has had a shuddering while accelerating on there starlets? I have an EP82 1991. I brought this car about 6 months ago as an automatic and it had the problem then. I have since converted it to manual and thought maybe the problem might disappear but is still there. The problem seems to be higher in the rev range and more noticeable when turning. For the conversion I used the same axles and was wondering is there any balancing weights that may have come off? We had the wheels balanced just after we brought it as the steering wheel shook like anything. TIA

FendtLad

Member +
Sorry forgot to mention both left and right engine mounts have been replace new and the rear one looked in good condition.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Does it feel more of an engine misfire issue or driveline related?

Could be your inner joints on your driveshafts. It's not that common, but I've had that issue on mine and had to replace the joints. Water had got in and caused damaged the bearing.

Reactions: Jay

SKINY

Lifer
Could be the shafts
My Caldina was shuddering over 30mph and under acceleration, replaced both shafts and sorted.
Is there any play in your shafts ?

Reactions: Jay
i can't remember, but i'll throw it out there...does the passenger side shaft carry a rubber piece in the middle? if so, maybe check for that also

dac69er

Super Moderator
i can't remember, but i'll throw it out there...does the passenger side shaft carry a rubber piece in the middle? if so, maybe check for that also
If that has deteriorated, then it could cause an imbalance. Wouldnt make a difference if put under load though. If it's not an engine misfire, my money is on the driveshaft inner joint/s

dac69er

Super Moderator
If that has deteriorated, then it could cause an imbalance. Wouldnt make a difference if put under load though. If it's not an engine misfire, my money is on the driveshaft inner joint/s

FendtLad

Member +
Hey guys, Just an update. I have replaced the LH axle. The new one was slightly longer than original so i'm wondering if someone has put the wrong shaft in at some point. Anyway have taken for a test drive and she's all good now. Thanks for the input.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Hey guys, Just an update. I have replaced the LH axle. The new one was slightly longer than original so i'm wondering if someone has put the wrong shaft in at some point. Anyway have taken for a test drive and she's all good now. Thanks for the input.
What made you only replace the left hand shaft out if interest?
How much longer was the replacement? A couple of mm would just be manufacturing/brand differences, but it it was a decent difference, then it possibly was a bodged up driveshaft made to fit