Advice on resolving a dispute with Honda over an 08 Type R

Dave.

Member +
Hi all,

I've got an 08 Civic Type R, which I purchased just under 2 years ago. I's covered 36,000 miles and has a full Honda dealership service history.

Its warranty expired at the end of June last year (just over 6 months ago), and over the last year I've had a string of problems which haven't been resolved.

About a year ago, I took the car in to report a knocking from the front drivers side of the vehicle. Honda replaced the front shock asborbers and gave me the car back. I advised at the time the vehicle still knocked when going over speedbumps, or when moving over a rough road.

I took the vehicle back in, and while my dealership acknowledged there was a problem, they couldn't identify it, and asked I return should the problem 'get worse'. The car has been back in twice for the same issue since, initially advised the same, and most recently (2 weeks ago) given some bad news.

The vehicle requires a new steering rack. After my dealership spoke directly with Honda, Honda advised they'd pay 50% of the parts, leaving me with an £800+ bill, I don't find this satisfactory for such a young vehicle with so few miles.

I spoke directly to the member of the team who made the decision, and was advised the decision had been made, as I was so far out of warranty, and because the vehicle had no service history.

I advised this was not the case, it has a full honda dealership service history, and further advised of the ongoing problems (which have never been resolved). They went to check their facts.

When the same honda employee contacted me again, they stated the decision was final and that there was absolutely no process to further appeal this, the Honda employee stating that I could follow it up in writing, but that it'd only go directly to her, and she'd say the same in writing.

Has ayone had similar from Honda? I really expected better.

Additionally, I've got Honda finance, which I pay £300+ per month to for the vehicle. Perhaps this'll change my available options?

Any advice appreciated. Sorry for the rant...

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

_shaun_

Member +
ur kinda in a shit spot u have to proof the steering rack was faultly before the warranty expired and they were aware there was an issue. worth finding out what level the employee is as unless she fairly high up its probaly worth just going above her head and if ur still not getting anywere mention how unhappy u are and how ur going to have to take it to a higher level/get some legal advise on this. if there still reluctant then u got to decide how far u want to push it because doesnt matter if ur a day or a year out of ur warranty ur still not covered and its realy all down to the discresstion of the company if there going to payout or not. unless u can prove u raised the issue before the warranty was out

H_D

Member +
call consumer direct on 08454 04 05 06...if they cannot help PM me a postcode local to your area and I will get you contact details for solicitor local to your area who covers consumer and general contract law.

malcolmgt

Member +
firstly i dont like her attitude, there is always someone higher. she isnt the owner of Honda!
if they were aware it was an issue and told you to come back when its worse, its not really acceptable. its a new car, i wouldnt be accepting any problems especially in warranty!then to have the cheak to offer half when it got worse! There will be a complaints/appeal process in place, there has to be as per FOS regulations or FSA if regulated by them.

if she refuses to i would take her details down, do google search and find someone more important to express your issues and concerns.

Texx

Super Moderator
If you reported the fault to them when the vehicle was still under it's warranty then they have to honour the repair, it's not your fault that the causal part could not be identified within the warranty period and therefore you shouldn't be expected to partially pay for the repair.

Have you spoken with customer relations or did you speak with the warranty department? If you've not spoken with customer relations, give them a call and see what they have to say 0845 200 8000.

Dave.

Member +
If you reported the fault to them when the vehicle was still under it's warranty then they have to honour the repair, it's not your fault that the causal part could not be identified within the warranty period and therefore you shouldn't be expected to partially pay for the repair.

Have you spoken with customer relations or did you speak with the warranty department? If you've not spoken with customer relations, give them a call and see what they have to say 0845 200 8000.

Texx,

You guys are the first folk who've made sense all day! Alarmingly, it's only that number I've been speaking to people on!

I've had another very interesting conversation this afternoon. I spoke to another member of staff, who advised there are no notes about the vehicle having any sercvices since 2010 on the system, despite the original customer service agent advising she'd just mis-read the screen!

A few things stand out to me here:

1) Originally, she (the first rep I spoke to) that 50% of parts alone was a fair offer for a vehicle unserviced in two years

2) That, after reading the whole case, and seeing it has a full service history, that it was still a fair offer?

3) After speaking to another rep (originally, I was advised the second person was the manager, it transpires she wasn't at all, by the way), there are no notes about it having any services at all.

It all smells like unbelievably blatant lies to me...

I'll be continuing this in the morning, sadly they shut at 5:30.

Thanks for all the advice so far, folks.

Dave

Last edited:

Dave.

Member +
firstly i dont like her attitude, there is always someone higher. she isnt the owner of Honda!
if they were aware it was an issue and told you to come back when its worse, its not really acceptable. its a new car, i wouldnt be accepting any problems especially in warranty!then to have the cheak to offer half when it got worse! There will be a complaints/appeal process in place, there has to be as per FOS regulations or FSA if regulated by them.

if she refuses to i would take her details down, do google search and find someone more important to express your issues and concerns.

I explained this to her ("Do you really think everyone I could write to at Honda will run it past you?"). Still, she refused to give me any details.

Everytime I call back, I get put through to her, or a colleague of hers (rather than a superior).

Madness from Honda's official customer service staff :-/

Dave

Dave.

Member +
call consumer direct on 08454 04 05 06...if they cannot help PM me a postcode local to your area and I will get you contact details for solicitor local to your area who covers consumer and general contract law.

They'll be the first folk I contact tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone.

Dave

They should fix it for nothing they know well that that the fn2's have steering rack problems should have been done in the warranty period imo. The cunts probably knew what it was in the first place too.

Dave.

Member +
Hi Texx,

I'll give them a buzz in the morning!

Thanks again,
Dave

Give the SMMT a call on 0870 751 8270 and explain the full story to them, include the fact that Honda were, quite conveniently, unable to identify the cause of the fault until the warranty period had expired.

http://www.smmt.co.uk/products-services/consumer-advice/

http://www.motorcodes.co.uk/motorist/the-codes/new-car-code.html

http://www.motorcodes.co.uk/images/stories/documents/new_car_code.pdf