AEM FIC on Ep82

tip

Member +
I've bought a new AEM FIC controller very cheap from a friend.
I've read the installation manual and a few questions in the installation manual confuse me.
Here are the question:
Does your vehicle have a mag or Hall style Crank Sensor?
(which one does the Ep82 have and how can I find it on the ECU?)

Does your vehicle have one or two cam sensor(s)?

Does your vehicle have a mag or Hall style cam sensor?
(which one does the Ep82 have and how can I find it on the ECU?)

Do you want to modify or clamp the MAF/MAP sensor voltage?
(The FIC has a built in map sensor, should I clamp the map sensor is it not necessary?)

EP82 ecu pinout from here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dub.se7en/TGTT/89661-10100.gif

I've tried searching but only found these threads:

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums...AEM-FIC-anyone-else-using-it-on-their-starlet

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?99085-Success-with-AEM-FIC-on-4EFTE

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks.

I've found other

dac69er

Super Moderator
starlets don't have crank sensors. the camshaft sensor is used for ignition timing. it is built into the distributor unit. I think its a hall effect sensor, but someone would have to confirm as I havnt done much with it myself.

if you want to boost over 0.8bar then you would need to clamp the standard map sensor voltage limit so it doesn't try and fuel cut.

ChrisD

Member +
Both sensors are mag type. Starlets have both sensors in the distributor.
Actually there are 2 cam sensors, so 3 in total.
Most aftermarket ecus only use one of the can sensors. Use NE signal for crank and G1 for cam. The system is called 24/1 so look for it.

Also better clamp the voltage output of the stock map. Don't remove/disconnect. Use also the aem map sensor.

tip

Member +
Both sensors are mag type. Starlets have both sensors in the distributor.
Actually there are 2 cam sensors, so 3 in total.
Most aftermarket ecus only use one of the can sensors. Use NE signal for crank and G1 for cam. The system is called 24/1 so look for it.

Also better clamp the voltage output of the stock map. Don't remove/disconnect. Use also the aem map sensor.

Thank you.
I'm still confused about how to wire the crank and cam sensors to the FIC.
(NE signal for crank)is the NE wire + or -?
should I intercept the wires like this <Crnk mag1 + to FIC from FIC Crnk mag0 + => NE signal wire (what should I do with crnk mag1 -, & mag0 -?)
<Cam mag1 + to FIC from FIC cam mag0 + => G1 signal wire (What should I do with cam mag1 -, & mag0 -?)
should I just ground the mag - wires?

another question:
The stock ECU is controlling 2 injectors with one Pin and the FIC can't do this.

Can I just connect the Injector number 1&3 IN together and injector 1&3 OUT together?

Last edited:

ChrisD

Member +
I don't have the wiring diagram, but I think there is Ne is the crank +, g- is the common ground, g1/2 is the cam +.

Not sure about the injector think, but you will use 2 channels only, so you will pair injectors as stock ecu.

tip

Member +
I don't have the wiring diagram, but I think there is Ne is the crank +, g- is the common ground, g1/2 is the cam +.

Not sure about the injector think, but you will use 2 channels only, so you will pair injectors as stock ecu.

Thanks, you've helped a lot, I'll install and look what happens.

ChrisD

Member +
Don't worry on polarity... Most ecu have a short of sine wave to square wave converter integrated, and so polarity doesn't really matter. Just be sure to configure triggers correct in the software, if there's an option...

tip

Member +
The car wont start...
here is how I wired it in:
used NE as the crank + signal
crk mag0+ (ecu side), crk magi+(to sensor)
did not use Crk 0-(I don't know where to wire it in.
Crk magi- to E2 (senor ground)
Used G1 as cam +
cam1 mag0+ (ECU side), cam1magi+(To sensor)

When I use the jumper I got from AEM the car starts and runs fine,
but if I Use the box the car doesn't start.

can anyone help?

tip

Member +
CrkO+ to the ecu side crkI+ to the sensor side NE
cam1O+ to the ecu side cam1I+ to the sensor G1
crkO- and cam1O- go to ECU side crkI- and cam1I- go to sensor side G- (If I tap it he car doesn't run good) So I intrceped it

I did not clamp the map sensor cause it is a pain in the bud to tune. I connected it like this MafO to ecu maf I to sensor PIM

injector 1 in and 3 in go to ecu side njector 1&3. I seperated injector 1 and 3 on the harness in the engne bay and used on existing wire for inj 1 out o the fic and pulled a extra wire for injector 3 out on the fic. Do he same for injecto 2&4

I did not use Cam 2 sensor But I think that I have to use it because between 1000 and 2000 rpm the car runs on 3 cylinders, but as soon as it gets to 2000rpm it drives fine. If I have some time I'll try the cam 2 sensor.

I can add and remove fuel it works I checked with m wideband.

The Ignition retards to did not check with a timing light yet if the car is on idle and I retard the ignition -10 degrees the car dies.

I hope this helps.