After Minor Mods/repairs Feeling Slower?

EvilKnievel

Member +
Hi Guys
As you guys know I have been very quiet lately as my EP82 was at the shop for the last few months, long story. I had a few repairs/mods done and somehow my ep now feels slower? Could this be or is it my imagination after not having driven the car in a while?

Empty CAT (left sensor wire unplugged)
Fitted bigger/better tmic
Had all oil seals replaced
New timing belt
new water pump
straight through exhaust with big jap style back box
Ceramic clutch and new pressure plate fitted
had oil pressure/temp gauges fitted

Any ideas?

sanchez

Member +
May just be your imagination mate lol but what top mount intercooler do you have now?
May be a bit laggier as its bigger, and being as its sat on top of the engine you may be getting more heat soak...

Mark-ep91

Member +
well if the top cat wire was unplugged the car will run shit cause its the lambda sensor!plug that in and see how ya get on!
other thing could be your timing could be off after fitting the new timing belt?was it checked with a timing gun?

EvilKnievel

Member +
its the rx7 tmic. And it the plug in the CAT just under the turbo, mechanic said to leave it unplugged after emptying out the CAT so that it doesnt send error signals or cause engine to run too lean? Or something like that. Timing was checked yes.

thanx so far.

Mark-ep91

Member +
its the rx7 tmic. And it the plug in the CAT just under the turbo, mechanic said to leave it unplugged after emptying out the CAT so that it doesnt send error signals or cause engine to run too lean? Or something like that. Timing was checked yes.

thanx so far.

step17.jpg

the white arrow in the pic is the lambda sensor without this connected the car will run all run if its the bottom wire disconnected its okay!

dac69er

Super Moderator
from what your 'mechanic' said, i wouldnt take your car there again as he obviously doesnt know what he is talking about.

i would put the sluggishness down to the timing more than anything else.

EvilKnievel

Member +
from what your 'mechanic' said, i wouldnt take your car there again as he obviously doesnt know what he is talking about.

i would put the sluggishness down to the timing more than anything else.

Timing is spot on, also idles nice and clean. So you saying the sensor in the CAT should be plugged in after it has been emptied? Because many say otherwise?

dac69er

Super Moderator
the top sensor (lambda) should be plugged in, but tbh it doesnt make the car run or perform noticeably different. the bottom sensor (temp sensor) doesnt need to be plugged in whether you have a cat or a decat. gives no error codes either way. if you can plug it in then do it, if not, dont worry.

the car can idle fine, but the timing can still be out. its not just the ignition timing that could be out. if the cam timing is out a tooth it will affect performance.

EvilKnievel

Member +
thanx for info. Checked the timing this afternoon and was fine, didnt check cam timing though. Lambda sensor is plugged in, was the temp sensor which is unplugged. Will start all the scratching around tommorow then, think it all fine probably just because I havent driven it in about 6 months. Otherwise it off to the tuner in a few weeks anyway, so he can check it all out, ha ha.