Annoying noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

nistarbo

Member +
As above lads. I've a noise and can't locate it properly.
It's a bit of a vibrating/knocking noise. All wheels have been balanced and aligned. The rear bearings done also. it sounded a bit like a buckled wheel or dodgy wheel bearing.
The front passenger wheel isn't spinning totally free so could that be the problem? There is no top to bottom play in the bearing tho.

The noise has been in the car for over a year and just very annoying now. It gets slightly worse when turning slightly left or right and only seems to start over 20mph.

Sorry for the long post. Any help appreciated.

dac69er

Super Moderator
could well be the bearings. i had a noise that progressively got worse. it was the bearings. same issue with my girlfriends fiesta. if you wait until they have play, they will be proper fucked!

nistarbo

Member +
Had thought of the top mounts and haven't checked yet. The noise is there on a straight flat road as we'll tho. Would you think the wheel sticking slightly would be causing this noise.
The front bearings are pressed I think. can they be over tightened or still have play?

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
they are pressed in. you cant over tighten them as such, you would have to go pretty mad to do that.
there was no play whatsoever in both of mine or my girlfriends, but i could see damage on the race of the bearing once it was out

nistarbo

Member +
Cheers buddy. Should I hear it if I jack it up and drive or would it only be on the load of the car. Might give it a try tomorrow.
Thanks

dac69er

Super Moderator
Cheers buddy. Should I hear it if I jack it up and drive or would it only be on the load of the car. Might give it a try tomorrow.
Thanks

its unlikely. my girlfriends car passed the MOT with the bearing like that, but was pretty loud. you wouldnt hear it spinning the wheel or anything.

not saying it is definitely that. but i have had it a few times in the past and i cant believe people drive their cars until there is play in the bearing, must have sounded terrible!!!!

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
You could have warped brake discs which is causing the disc to heat up as it hits the pad every time it passes, could be the reason why it starts over 20mph

Mark

nistarbo

Member +
Cheers marco but all discs and pads where changed as soon as I got the car and 2 calipers have been replaced since ive owned it as well. Leaning more towards front wheel bearing. Away for a few weeks soon then it'll have m.o.t when I come back and once I get it through il get the bearings done.
Cheers

Last edited:

nistarbo

Member +
Quick update. Got this sorted. Passed mot with no bother a while back. But just got this issue sorted yesterday. 2 new front bearings pressed in and now no noise thankfully. The guy that done them said the old bearings where pretty mangled.
Thanks for the help dac69er. Had a feeling it was the bearings all along but all advice appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.