Another what clutch thread

AdamB

Member +
Hi all,

Another one of these what clutch for my setup thread, although I've been doing some research and found it to actually be quite challenging which clutch to go for. Looking to purchase a clutch after xmas.

I'm after something that can handle 300+ft/lbs torque, and have some manners to drive with on the road, don't expect it to be light and easy to use like stock, but has to be manageable. Also needs to weigh as little as possible.

Was looking at the competition clutches, seem to get mixed reviews, some people have had no problems at all, but others have. The pressure plate catching on the inside of the bell housing, or the clutch causing too much drag when its disengaged requiring a longer slave rod.

The spec clutch a couple of people have said there a waste of money and don't last very long.

Exedy I've seen the rivets come loose on the friction disc.

The other option would be the ACT clutch which i've heard nothing but good things about, although being quite stiff and harsh engagement.

Does anyone know if the issues with the competition clutch been sorted?
Anyone got any other reviews?

Also while we are here, whats a good lightweight flywheel to go for? Going to be on a
5E and need to run 4E clutch, was looking at the Aasco but they don't seem to have their weights published. Can be either 4E or 5E flywheel, don't mind getting it re-drilled.

Thanks
Adam

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
We run SPEC ourselves in the GT and have done for 5 years or so now, it hasn't missed a beat and has been in various uses from a daily driver a few years ago to track days and also drag racing. Both 4e and 5e engines.

It has nice light feel and engagement is nice, firm when needed also.

We have run over 300bhp & 300lb.ft through it and not had a single issue, it is a popular seller for us and we have many customers whom we have regular contact with who are happy with the clutch.

We offer it packaged with a 3.8kg flywheel also, although this is 4e only fitment at this time :)

Cheers

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments Ltd

AdamB

Member +
Thanks for that Mike, will you plan on doing a flywheel for 5e fitment anytime soon? Just less hassle lol.

AdamB

Member +
How long you had yours Mark? What stage have you got? Whats it like to drive with? Read they are pretty good and easy to use.

Nick@TD.co.uk

To be honest Adam, not enough demand to get them done bud sorry, I can source a conversion flywheel for the 5e? but it wouldn't be lightweight.

Cheers

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments Ltd

AdamB

Member +
No problem Mike, I could get the 4E one re-drilled, its no biggie, I didn't think there would be an option for it, should have built a forged 4E instead :haha:
I'll keep your kit in mind bud, do you know the total weight including the clutch?

Nick@TD.co.uk

Flywheel is 3.8kg, i'll check the clutch kit out for you buddy :)

Cheers

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments Ltd

ryan-11

Member +
Im running a stage 5 competition clutch, only been used for about 1000 - 1500 miles, been fine fro me, not too bad to drive with once u get use to it

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I've my old clutch kit for sale handled 520hp, clutch and flywheel for £280+ del if u want.

elison

Member +
Any other opinions on the competition or spec clutch?? which stage??

Recently finished a forged 4E rebuild but current clutch (clutchmasters 16080-HD00) is not holding up the power its producing around 1.3 bar. I have no number yet due to the car is still pending for RR sessions but the engine is all driven in and is on a safe street tune pending for RR session for a more aggressive strip tune. Would like to see around 1.6 bar figures on the RR.

Was looking at these following:

Competition 16080-1620 Stage 4 Sprung Sport Compact Clutch Kit
art_45.jpg

SPEC STAGE 3 Clutch Toyota Glanza 1996-1999 1.33L
product-stage-3.png

ACT TC2-SPG6 - Sport/Race Sprung 6 Pad
TC2-SPG6_2.jpg

EXEDY CLUTCH KIT THICK CERAMETALLIC STARLET GT EP82 GLANZA EP91 4E-FTE TURBO
$(KGrHqV,!hcE+C,1mQN0BQElSq1-h!~~60_57.JPG

Clutchmasters FX400 (Stage IV) 16080-HDC6
acura_stage4.jpe

Any other suggestions are more than very welcome.

AdamB

Member +
Kinda in the same position mate, I've narrowed my choice down to Competition, ACT or Spec lol. Still none the wiser really.