Apexi PFC fitted and mapped, now it wont idle with main beam on!?

Fro

Member +
Got my power FC fitted and mapped today, all well and good, though when my main beam (lights!) is on, it struggles to idle or cuts out?

Example, drive at 60mph in 5th (or any speed/gear) with the lights off, dip the clutch, car settles at idle, switch sidelights on-fine- switch main beam on, cuts out.

If i have already stopped and switch main beam on, it struggles to stay at idle, but if the lights are on and i dip the clutch or come to a stop it cuts out.

Any ideas? I wondered if it was some kind of voltage problem!? Clueless me though :homer: haha

ps@bowie, i`ll probably phone you later, just felt ive deeved you enough this past week or two :haha:

Gtstu

Member +
iv heard when the PFC are mapped when the idle is set the lights should be on , have you upped the idle a bit to see if that cures it?

dac69er

Super Moderator
could be 2 things normally. 1 will be the idle speed with a load on the engine (lights on etc). if this is set too low then the engine will cut out.

the other thing that will affect it is you need to go through the setup procedure before loading a map. you reset the pfc to factory settings and let it learn your idle wit no electrical load and then with an electrical load. problem is you will delete the map in the process.

go back to whoever mapped it and get them to sort it out

Rory

Lifer
As below Connor.

Anyway, how does it go and what numbers?

could be 2 things normally. 1 will be the idle speed with a load on the engine (lights on etc). if this is set too low then the engine will cut out.

the other thing that will affect it is you need to go through the setup procedure before loading a map. you reset the pfc to factory settings and let it learn your idle wit no electrical load and then with an electrical load. problem is you will delete the map in the process.

Fro

Member +

I phoned the guy who mapped it, he checked the file for the secondary idle and said it was fine, told me to clean the icv which ive done and check for any dodgy wires and if i dont find anything to give him a phone back which i'll do tomorrow.

I know what you mean about idling with electrics on and off, not sure that he done that but i wont be fucking about with that, though i'll mention it to him if i go back in.

Is it not a bit strange how its only main beam? its fine with fans and the rear window heater or does that not use the same amount of load?

chuffed to bits other than that though :drive:

dac69er

Super Moderator
it could be completely unrelated to the map, could you not prove a point buy just plugging in the stock ecu again and seeing what happens?

if i were you (assuming you have a commander) i would initialise the pfc and go through the idle setup procedure and see if that helps. if it cures it then get him to reload the map. what spec is your car?

Fro

Member +
As below Connor.

Anyway, how does it go and what numbers?

Goes like fuck!! Cant believe the difference it has made from running the standard ecu and injectors :haha: Been pissing down today so still to test her a bit more and change my pants :haha:

made 211@9psi with standard timing and 236@maybe just over a bar. Obviously happy theres a good figure to go with it but really happy with it on the road.
He plugged in your map sensor once it was mapped and gave her a little run and said your sensor is fine

dac69er

Super Moderator
Goes like fuck!! Cant believe the difference it has made from running the standard ecu and injectors :haha: Been pissing down today so still to test her a bit more and change my pants :haha:

made 211@9psi with standard timing and 236@maybe just over a bar. Obviously happy theres a good figure to go with it but really happy with it on the road.
He plugged in your map sensor once it was mapped and gave her a little run and said your sensor is fine

when you say standard timing is that the base timing on the power fc? i found that to be fairly aggressive timing tbh

Fro

Member +
it could be completely unrelated to the map, could you not prove a point buy just plugging in the stock ecu again and seeing what happens?

if i were you (assuming you have a commander) i would initialise the pfc and go through the idle setup procedure and see if that helps. if it cures it then get him to reload the map. what spec is your car?

I drove it there with the standard ecu and it was fine, though I cant remember if i had my lights on :homer:

I assume if i was to "initialise" i would lose the map?

Car is td04, usual supporting mods (fmic, exhaust, sard frp, 330cc speedvision injectors)

Rory

Lifer
Sweet buddy, glad its worked out for you, now you have to go get a plane soon!? :haha:

FFS, whats up with my car then, send me details of the wiring again, im starting to think my brother wrote it down wrong when we changed the loom over???

Fro

Member +
Sweet buddy, glad its worked out for you, now you have to go get a plane soon!? :haha:

FFS, whats up with my car then, send me details of the wiring again, im starting to think my brother wrote it down wrong when we changed the loom over???

I know, gutted, only got a week to drive it then im offski for a year :(

The wiring for the map sensor?

weeJohn

Lifer
When the ecu is initialised you need to run the car from cold to warm on idle with all electrical loads off, then switch on the a/c (if fitted) to allow it to see what it needs to do when that electrical load is on, you also need to switch the lights or rear demister on to allow it to see what it needs to do for that load as well.

There is an electrical load idle rev setting that usually needs to be set about 100 rpm higher than the normal idle but as its cutting out on deceleration it could need the injector switch on revs under deceleration setting raised slightly to help out in that case.

None of this can be done with a commander but, needs the Datalogic and software to do it.

dac69er

Super Moderator
you can do the initialise on the commander, and im sure you can alter the different rpm levels too?

weeJohn

Lifer
My bad, I dont have a commander so I shouldnt be saying that really then, sorry.

Negative rep me if you feel I deserve it Dunc :)

Fro

Member +
I know, starting to sweat now :haha: need to get the gt shipped over!!

1 more week you lucky b457ard! :haha:

Yeah map sensor wiring please.

Spoke to the tuner, told me to try disconnect the battery for 15 mins, restart it and let it idle for a few minutes then switch on light etc and let it idle for 15 mins or so and this should reteach the idle proccess?
It worked for a start, switched the lights off then back on and it was back to square one but tonight was driving with the lights on doing what i could to keep it idling whe coming to a stop, it wasnt too keen for a start but after a while of sitting it seemed to sort itself out (touch wood) so hopefully this has cured it.

Sound ok!? Thanks for everyones replies!

dac69er

Super Moderator
you really need to re-initialise it properly mate. disconnecting the battery just doesnt do it on the pfc. tell your tuner to stop being a lazy arse and sort it out properly.