apexi turbo timer amnesia

dark_knight

Member +
i have an apexi turbo timer that works great. it's wired in correctly and functions as it's meant to. i have it reading the ecu signal thus it gives the narrow-band a/f ratio readings as well. handbrake safety feature is on point too.

problem is, at times, not all the time btw, it will loose the memory presets programmed into it and return to the 30-second default (out-of-the-box state). there is no sequence to these memory losses, they are pretty random. just wondering what would cause this.. :confused:
it stays energized when cranking so i doubt it's that either. my battery is good too. not a worrisome problem but would like to get it fixed all the same.
ideas..?

dark_knight

Member +
connections are all mint. have been over them 3 or 4 times now already. thing is, the timer works as it should. all functions and features are as they should be - operational. it's only occasionally that it will loose memory.. :(

cooz93

Member +
Mine only does this when the battery is disconnected.. Sure all terminals and connections are spot on?

dark_knight

Member +
+12v constant

i ruled out the battery a long time ago because i have a boost gauge and stereo that reset when you cut power to them. my dash clock also resets when power is cut to it. all three are fine meaning there is no power loss at any point in time.. :|
now that both of you mentioned the battery, perhaps it's the constant +12v line that i'm tapping power for it from..? i'm getting its +12v feed from my ignition harness. can anyone verify that this gets disconnected when cranking..? i doubt it but worth the check i guess..

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
I had one of those timers, the cables connections in the display went on me. I tried to remake them but fucked it up big time lol, they are very fine wires and the PCB is not tough at all so make sure you use a soldering iron with temp control!!

corofin12345

Member +
have one of hese so while on the subject.. do ya really have to wire the earth back to the ecu ground when you have the other o2 sensor function wired into the ecu.. i have it just earthed to the car??

corofin12345

Member +
ah right.. it just says on a pdf i have here if your not using the o2 function, just earth to body, but if ithe o2 function is wired into the ecu, it says to earth to ground pin on the ecu..

dark_knight

Member +
ECU earth or car shell earth?

@corofin12345: so do you have any problems with the earth being to the car and not the ECU..? that could be my problem, although i doubt it as the earth should be consistent throughout the car..?

dark_knight

Member +
ECU grounding

i'd presume they say that to ensure that the device has a proper earth from the ecu since at times, when you ground it elsewhere on the car, it may not be a secure earthing point and so your read-outs may be inaccurate too..

corofin12345

Member +
ya was thinking that alright.. apexi say themselves that the o2 reading wont be accurate but i love them.. not many auto timers out there have all those functions.. the battery voltage function is spot on cause i used a multi meter elsewhere on the car and the reading were the same as display.. i do notice a glitch myself with mine do and its very random.. sometimes i go to turn off the car with keys and the engine cuts for a second and it runs on 3 cylinders.. only for a moment do and it sorts itself out then

dark_knight

Member +
ignition cut

@corofin12345: i have the very same thing happen to me, and as you say, it's very RANDOM. at times when you kill the ignition with the key, the car will sputter for just a moment but keep running. in my case, this is further compounded by the fact that my boost gauge is very sensitive so it goes off as soon as there is an ignition cut, but it will come back on again and do the opening ceremony all over again.. :)

corofin12345

Member +
ignition related? ya its splutters and sometime i get alot of unburnt fuel out the exhaust.. odd.. maybe a problem/fault with the unit itself?

dark_knight

Member +
possible production flaw?

may be a unit fault, but not if 3 other members (or more) can confirm that they have the same problem. then i'd just say it's a production flaw from the manufacturer since we all can't be suffering the same symptoms with all our different setups..