ARP Head Studs now available???

sdutton007

Member +
I just saw this on IDWorkz: http://www.id-workz.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_1118_1211_1230&products_id=3859

Last time I looked, there were no head studs available for the 4E so are these a new release, or are they just the 4AGE head studs being passed off as 4EFTE ones?

They do say "The engine block will require re-tapping to house these studs." which leads me to suspect they may be 4AGE not 4EFTE.

Also, does anybody know if there is any difference between the length of the 4E and 5E head bolt holes?

Cheers

Last edited:

GP82

Member +
They are not a new release, there not a direct fit. This is the old school method of using the 10mm headstuds from the 4AGE 16v, which requires minor machine work to the 4EFTE cylinder block and head to accept them.

turbok79

Member +
They fit ok as I'm running them in my engine. As said you need to tap the block out make the holes in the head a tad bigger and I had to jake the holes in my head gasket a tad bigger as well

H_D

Member +
There is a direct fit kit and there is only 1 tuning shop I know that supplies them. im running them on my engine :p

sdutton007

Member +
So the ones at IDWorkz are 4AGE ones being passed off as 4efte ones?

Will they fit a 5e with the same minor machine work?

GP82

Member +
Many years ago, it was worked out that the 4AGE 16v headstud kit can be used with the 4EFTE with some machine work to accept them. As it has become quite a common fastner upgrade when putting a motor together, it has since been listed as 4EFTE fastners in the EP parts sections of the sellers. In that listing it does state that the engine block will require re-tapping to house these studs.

I am sure they will work in the 5E too because you can use 4E headbolts in a 5E so i think it should be ok, but someone who has actually done this modification to a 5E should confirm.

dac69er

Super Moderator
The head is the same, its only the height of the block that is different. They will fit no problem

mark1991

Member +
I bought these a few weeks ago thinking they were a straight swap...What tap in needed to make the block accept the new head bolts?

Skalabala

Member +
4AGE has the same thread pitch on the head bolts. That is why it works. 4E is 9mmx1.25 and 4AG is 10mmx1.25
So the drill size you want to use is 8.7mm and tapping will be easy as there is already thread :)
But these studs are expensive aren't they? I think Honda has M10x1.25 also.