bad times!

coreygodofall

Fresh Recruit
i recently bought a starlet gt after my last gt got stolen early last christmas morn:( my insurance wasnt very helpful so i had to save and go on foot until i had enuf fundz to buy another,, the 1 i bought went ok for a wk or so,,my friend chekd for the usuals and said it was decent enuf,, i drove it for a week and it was great until 1 day i went over a bump and it lost power and conked out so to speak! anyhoo,my friends hav been valliantly tryna find the problem for a while now,,they thought the wiring in the car was could be an issue as alot of wires wer taped together and kinda shabby from previous things bein wired and unwired,,,after they fit a whole new loom and a mess about wit the earths and distributor they got the car goin and it ran idle for around 2hours in my garden,, i was givin the allclear to take it for a drive and it went ok til i hit a tiny bump and the car gave up on me again...so after 4weeks of walking,,im basicly bak to square1.... any help or information would be massively appreciated as im completely at a loss...tanx:eek:

smythy75

Member +
sounds like throttle postion sensor is either, faulty/lose/bad connection and the bumps are making it move or shaking a bad connection! just my idea of what id check if its idling ok but kunking out after throttle or over bumps!

coreygodofall

Fresh Recruit
cheerz man,,i'll get my friend to check it as im admittedly! fairly useless when it comes to mechanics,, anyhoo,i'll letya know how i get on,,thanx agian man,,realy really appreciated:rockon:

Jay

Admin
Back to basics - check the engine is getting fuel and spark.

Probably just a loose connection that doesn't appreciate bumps.

Jay

Texx

Super Moderator
A good old fashioned 'wiggle' check might help the problem show itself. With the engine running, give all electrical connectors around the engine bay a gentle 'wiggle' to see if any have an effect. Avoid wiggling any of the HT ignition leads though, or your may get a bit of a shock.

coreygodofall

Fresh Recruit
tanx evry1:) im gona chek all the above,,ha! now u mention it,,my friend was messin with the distributor leads while it was runnin and ZARPED HIMSELF!!! it may hav been the best thing my car has done since i bought it!!!! my m8 prbbly wouldnt agree though! anyhoo, thanx again lads and i'll keep yez informed on the outcome:rockon:

J25GTi

Lifer
A good old fashioned 'wiggle' check might help the problem show itself. With the engine running, give all electrical connectors around the engine bay a gentle 'wiggle' to see if any have an effect. Avoid wiggling any of the HT ignition leads though, or your may get a bit of a shock.

x2!

I forgot to attach to two breather pipes and started my car and it was revving its self turned the key off but it kept going! so i pulled the king lead out, boy did that hurt! :haha:

coreygodofall

Fresh Recruit
ha ha! very nice! anyhoo, I GOT MY PROBLEM FIXD AND IM BAK IN THE GAME!:drive: IT WAS AN EARTH WIRE THAT UNSCREWED ITSELF,, DOH!!!! TANX TO ALL FOR URE HELP,, GREATLY APPRECIATED LADS

ginor

Member +
I was going to mention the earth wire, my one on the battery sometimes comes off and it just cuts out. Really should get one that fits the terminals properly lol