Best Springs for your buck

Toplap

Lifer
I'm in the market for some springs, i've done plenty of searches, but havent found much pertaining to opinions of available lower springs for the starlet/paseo/cynos/tercel. I'm looking for something that is going to give me an aggressive drop, without too much loss in comfort. Something i can drive daily and still occationally take to HPDE event. I currently have Koni sport adjustables up front and KYB GR2 struts in the rear. I have Whiteline rear swaybar/panhard/and anti lift plates. What would my best option be? im not too worried about being really really low, just something more then standerd. Also, im here in the US.

I've looked into Whitelines springs (they are back ordered here in the states), Eibach (havent heard many great reviews on these), RS*R's ( i've heard they ride much too low?) etc

ChrisGT

Member +
I have tein and they are fairly stiff and has improved handling over stock by a long, long way. But as for ride height, they have lowered the car, but not that much at all. So if you want an aggresive drop I'd steer cleaer of the Tein S. Techs - but they are bloody good round bends tbh!

Toplap

Lifer
I have tein and they are fairly stiff and has improved handling over stock by a long, long way. But as for ride height, they have lowered the car, but not that much at all. So if you want an aggresive drop I'd steer cleaer of the Tein S. Techs - but they are bloody good round bends tbh!

Yeah like i said anything better then standerd is ok with me.....honestly i dont want too low as i drive over many speed bumps daily. When i was also speaking with a Whiteline Rep he warned me or springs that lower it too low and how it can cause problems with the normal travel of the struts and can bottom out. I would love the whitelines, but to get them here in the states i was told it would take 4-6 weeks :(. The Teins sound like a nice example, and i believe toby sells them correct?

dac69er

Super Moderator
apex lowering springs are crap so dont bother with them. also the Pi springs are crap on starlets, were good on my fiesta though.

sx_turbo

Lifer
rsr springs are great.

and RS*R springs dont lower it to much, they lower 40mm front and 35mm rear, which is just right. and they are very good springs, a nice mix supple but firm.

and they will not create your shocks to bottom out and break them.

rsr springs are great.

and RS*R springs dont lower it to much, they lower 40mm front and 35mm rear, which is just right. and they are very good springs, a nice mix supple but firm.

I have a set of these on my Glanza V and have to say they feel great, loads better than stock Glanza springs because my other Glanza is running stock springs and the difference is massive!!!
Christy

lleey2k4

Member +
apex lowering springs are crap so dont bother with them. also the Pi springs are crap on starlets, were good on my fiesta though.

I have PI on my fiesta and not a bad word to say about them, haven't heard much good about them on Starlets.

I might try Whiteline springs on mine.

Toplap

Lifer
rsr springs are great.

Hmm...ok sounds like a good spring. I had a set of RS*R's on my old Miata that i really liked, didnt know if they translated well to this chassis. I have a Paseo/CynosB BTW. I guess i'll have to wait till tomorrow when Toytuning opens back up

Toplap

Lifer
Anyone have any opinions on the Eibach spring? they are available all over the place here and around $210 shipped. Most anything else is going to have to be shipped from the UK or AU and cost a pretty penny.....that and the exchange rates from dollars to pounds is retarded :p

$210 for eibachs or $300+ for RS*R's?

Idrees

Banned
Some pictures may help you decice.

TRD springs:

DSC00030-1.jpg

Awesome ride height drop, excellent handling improvement.

Pi springs:

DSC01856.jpg

Medium drop, I'm unable to comment on handling improvement unfortunately.

RS*R springs:

DSC00154-1.jpg

A medium drop, good handling improvement.

Gmax springs:

DSC00148-1.jpg

Quite a nice drop, but again I'm afraid I cannot comment on the handling.

I hope that helps.

(Please note all springs were fitted and tested with aftermarket shocks apart from the Gmax)

Last edited:

p2d

Member +
Ive got TRD springs with KYB shocks, very firm ride but the handlings second to none

Toplap

Lifer
Wow Great post indress:D

I really like the comments and pics for the TRD's. They unfortunately arent available here in the states from the dealership. Where would i source these? is there a Toyota Part # for them? i may be able to source them that way

sx_turbo

Lifer
i currently have rsr springs and i hate them! the ride is much to hard.. - unless im using the wrong shocks with them (kyb)

you have uprated kyb shocks, which have stiff damper rates, thats why there so stiff.

if you had standard shocks, and rs*r springs, you would have a happy medium.