Best turbo for 4EFTE

Rev

Member +
Last edited:

Guye

Lifer
I wonder...how much do these units cost compared to say...a used td04? I know it's not quite comparing apples with apples but be honest, hardly anyone here would buy a brand new td04 unit. I ask because with tuning, some have seen 15psi at 3000rpm with a td04 and the power output potential has been well established. For me personally then, it would come down to cost. How much more/less would I have to pay for such a turbo and would the efficiency/output gains justify the cost? So, what's the price?

Rev

Member +
I posted the above as it seemd to have much more head room in hotter climate where boost is higher than the tdo4L13g in hot climate looking for experience on that.___Spool wise on paper it didnt seem a big enough improvement to work for an auto.

Having said that posts in very cold climates show the tdo4L13g responds very well to the 1.3 air flow rate and lower temps.The efficency seems to get extended as temp goes down. It is hard to beat that.

Last edited:

Skalabala

Member +
No man :( the link is wrong :(
Must have been the GT06 but it does not want to link to it. engine size 0.1L-0.5L :haha:

Anyway GT20/22 are supposed to be cheap.
I can get them really cheap here by me.
They come from Mercedes 270.
The actuator computer packs up and then the turbo gets replaced and the old one is still
perfect for us to use and should be cheap :)

AdamB

Member +
I don't think it would be much different to a ct9 tbh. The compressor map looks pretty damn small and doesn't have much scope in terms of how much mass of air it can flow. Ideal for a bike or go kart really. Would be better off with shorter gearing in my opinion.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
well it does seem pretty ideal... albeit the same power can be made with a well tuned ct9 hybrid setup....

either that or a greddy td04-12b will get u better results with the same in lag roughly...

and i dont think you can say there is an ideal turbo for the 4e... its just what turbo is best for the settup you are running... for example for me that would
be far to small a turbo since i run a drag setup :)

kon

Rev

Member +
Nice one, I think I'll need a triple turbo with those. ___ Also want to clarify something about the td04 13G.
I was mentioning efficiency from 13g map but now realise the some dynos are td04L 13g. They are supposed to flow the same but the td04 13g is 5cms housing ( & slightly smaller exhaust wheel ) while the tdo4lL13g is 6cms housing I guess the spool will be better on the tdo4 13G can some one say how much better spool ?

@ hybrid so what spool is the td04 12b? cant seem to find a map. You are right about 4e setup I am auto and need decent flow at 2000 rpm for city driving.

Last edited:

Rev

Member +
Thanks Kon that sounds worth investigating further. A k1 200v will do that spool and stretch to 205hp you say better results than a hybrid are expected with the td05 12b so what flow can we expect ?

Last edited:

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
heres the info from greddy themselves:

(pls note the 12b and 14b are virtually the same :))

Product Specs
Brand: Trust GReddy
Product : Turbo charger
Model : TD-05 14B 8cm
Power : 350ps
Max temp : 950C
Compressor wheel
In dia : 43.0 mm
Out dia : 58.0 mm
Turbine wheel
Out dia : 47.6 mm
Ex dia : 56 mm
Part Num. : 11500070 (external actuator type)
Part Num. : 11500065 (with a P565 internal actuator)

link can be found here : http://www.rhdjapan.com/trust-greddy-turbo-charger-td-05-14b-50838

kon

Last edited:

Rev

Member +
I see what you mean there is alot of upside to be had with the td05 14B 8cm.

Last edited:

Rev

Member +
I wonder...how much do these units cost compared to say...a used td04? I know it's not quite comparing apples with apples but be honest, hardly anyone here would buy a brand new td04 unit. I ask because with tuning, some have seen 15psi at 3000rpm with a td04 and the power output potential has been well established. For me personally then, it would come down to cost. How much more/less would I have to pay for such a turbo and would the efficiency/output gains justify the cost? So, what's the price?

There is a posting on the oz site that says you need to run the smaller .64 housing to be drivable 4e in city traffic with the gt2554r and the gt2560 53mm wheel turbo and don't go larger than this. The bottom line is the gt2554r spools 0psi at 2600 rpm with a manual car i think about 20degC. That sounds close enough to tdo413g dynos but I think sometimes the tdo4 efficiency can be better.

I have seen similar dynos tdo413g dynos one was 234.9 fhp spool at 3000rpm this is not a tdo4L 13g it is the smaller ex hosing auto turbo one the 'L' seems to spool strongly at 3600. It does sound possible but I would interested to see a dyno for that tdo4 ( 13g ) you mention that gives 15 psi at 3600rpm.

Last edited:

Rev

Member +
Ok that explains it well , smaller compressor . The Average size difference I have seen is about .92 lighter than the td04 13g and the exhaust major diameter on the td04 9b is slightly larger which all adds to the better spool. Have also seen figures that say at 2.2PR the 9b can spool up to 100cfm earlier than the tdo4 13G.

You may find this an interesting link for the turbo you have and it explains better :) ...http://www.stealth316.com/2-3s-compflowmaps.htm