big puff of black smoke??? :S

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Sitting at the lights today got really pissed off before hand with a certain driver!! so yeah i was in a bad mood!!

anyway as i was saying.... i was at the lights and just pulled off normally, then this guy in a stupid newish audi gives it and tries to get in front of me?! idiot so i floored it banging on the limiter in 1st (naturally) and a huge BANG(almost like an explosion) then i see a BIG puff of black smoke, only on that split second, the car drives completely normally, no noises, no oil/grease around the engine, seems completely fine???

Anyway have any ideas what the hell that was :eek:

Worried me a bit................. sound feeking :cool: though lol

Adam_Glanza

Member +
lets just hope it was a build up of shit in the exhaust that maybe got hotted up and exploded? bit of oil / soot etc. can sometimes cause a backfire. just keep an eye on it mate and fingers crossed its nothing bad

Dan3SGTE

Member +
ahh yeah thats a good point.......... it was very sooty, like really black and thick.... wasnt light smoke at all..... and the backfire was soo loud, must of scared a good few passing pedestrians.....

Yeah i'll keep an eye out......

C

CaL

anti lag???

lol....ive seen rs turbos and some over cars do it before...dont know what it is however

Dan3SGTE

Member +
cal its only ever done it once though and thats today.. .. and yes the car does feel like it has anti lag however it doesn't lol....

Somhairle

Lifer
I'd be trying to find the cause of the backfire mate,

Maybe a plug is gettin lazy? Or you have a loose connection on a lead, at the dizzy or the plug ends,

Check them over, as for the black smoke, that's just unburnt fuel exiting the engine as she didn't combust it fully.

Just try to find the cause of the back fire mate...

happy hunting :D

Gee

Member +
Last time mine made a big bang and a poof of smoke, I boosted to 25psi and bent a rod. Have you got a boost controller? Check its last peak boost just to rule out it did not overboost.

Jay

Admin
As Som says black is usually fuel. Check over the usual suspects and keep an eye on everything. Sounds like you got yourself the 'rally car' experience!

Dan3SGTE

Member +
@somhairle..... ahh you think that could be it? im gona jack the car up soon, thourouly check all underneath in case ive missed anything....

I'll also check all the leads make sure there in properly......

thanks mate........

ChrisGT

Member +
Haha I'd kill for a massive back fire like that! All I get at the mo is the occasional pop and bang! Consider your self lucky :p

I guess if you were sitting at the lights some petrol may have built up in the exhaust somehow..overfuelling, bad plugs or leads in most cases.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
@Gee... nope, no boost controller mate, the Motec sorts out the boost and holds it........ And yeah i checked the boost and was just hitting 1BAR... felt completely normal throught the whole rev range....... dont wana be bending rods now :S

@Jay..... yeah will do mate, cheerz, it really cool, but just worried me a bit at the time lol.....

@Montanajr..... lol, your crazy mate :D .... thing is i was only sitting at the lights for about 20 seconds... not the first time ive sat at light haha

Somhairle

Lifer
9 times outta 10 black smoke is down to either excessive fuelling or the mixture not being combusted fully in the cylinder.

As you said she backfired, black smoke usually always follows a backfire, as the fuel don't get burnt fully.

If all seems normal, take the plugs out and look at the colour of them(the should be chocolate brown), post a few pics up here of them too, then clean them with contact cleaner, or emery cloth, put them back in, and clean the contacts on the leads too.

Keep an eye on her.

lets us know how you get on!

- she also might be overfuelling causing a plug to slightly foul, then fire at the wrong time, that would cause the symptons you described too....

good luck.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
thing is dave i hit the limiter every time i floor it in 1st and 2nd gear in an instant..... and in the wet every gear lol.... and its never done that before....

Dan3SGTE

Member +
lol ^^^ sweeet :cool:

Yeah it is really hot day down here, which you'd no... maybe that was just it....

i'll check the plugs anyway.........

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Yes mate i have done this a couple of times in first pulled away but accidently rev limited in 1st little black cloud lol and a huge flame my mate said as he was behind me so i would say nothing to worry about :)

Adam_Glanza

Member +
that explains it mate obviously when your hitting the limiter i believe it cuts the ignition so your gonna be getting a nice dump of fuel in the exhaust and when the exhaust pipe is hot bang bang. i wouldnt worry mate unless it does it when your just normal driving

Dan3SGTE

Member +
and yeah you know what, i was hitting the limiter for longer then normal this time too...... then BANG........ as i dont usually floor it in 1st either.........