Black OIL from Downpipe

NosydneW

Member +
:(I bought a Godzilla turbo from a member. Turbo is supossed to be in good conditon.
yesterday I started this turbo kit for the first time after installing the kit. It just idled a few minutes and after that I see black oil ( with maybe some coolant) comming from my downpipe.

Checked oil in the engine and this is clear cause I just put new oil in it.
After a while it starts smoking with white smoke but smelling like burned oil.

Does this mean that the turbo is broken ?
Seals broken or something like that ?

what are the options for problems like these ?

Skalabala

Member +
The coolant part makes me worry a bit.
easy to test.
remove the turbo from the exhaust manifold and have a look if it smokes, if not you will need the turbo to be rebuilt.
I have never primed a turbo in my life and I can not see why it is needed :p

cheshireglanza

**Do not buy from me**
did you prime turbo and remove decat then start car up,could be turbo oil seals which some times can reseal them selfs

NosydneW

Member +
I have primed thr turbo before having the engine started. I did not even take the car for a drive cause that oil and smoke had me worried.
I don' t think it's just condensation. The oil is almost black like it's being burned. I will take the oil return pipe off to check if the oil there is black also. Cause the engine oil is brand new..

Turbo oil seals can be replaced at home or is it a difficult job?

Rory

Lifer
Throw up some pics.
Condensation will come out black due to the soot in the downpipe/exhast system.

I highly doubt its oil.
If your that worried, whip the down pipe off and have a look

NosydneW

Member +
Oh I will take the downpipe off today. mainofold and downpipe are brandnew. Only turbo is used.
You guys have a point,...This is black oil and I din't know that the turbo can't burn new oil and make it black.
Started the car on downpipe only without a exhaust. I will take some pics today.

NosydneW

Member +
Took off the manifold to check if runners are dry... everything dry.....turbo is definately not good. It's smoking alot if I rev it to 3000rpm. Oil leaking from the downpipe is'n as much as before...but it's still leaking. i think the turbo seals are broken.

Skalabala

Member +
Took off the manifold to check if runners are dry... everything dry.....turbo is definately not good. It's smoking alot if I rev it to 3000rpm. Oil leaking from the downpipe is'n as much as before...but it's still leaking. i think the turbo seals are broken.

Turbo seal can't really brake bud. But what happens is that the turbo bushes wear out and then the shaft has more room to move
and shifting the seals always out of its happy seating, and by that wear the seal out. Sometimes a turbo can seal it self again by using burnt oil to form extra sealing.

GP82

Member +
If the turbo has got a ball bearing centre housing rotating assembly, make sure you have a oil restrictor in the turbo oil feed line as they don't like high oil pressure going into them! Too much oil pressure makes them smoke.

NosydneW

Member +
Got a restrictor on there. It leaks minimal now. Did't took the car out for a spin cause I am afraid to damage it more.
What I have noticed....

start the car.....
when revving turbo produces alot of smoke. rebuild prices are skyhigh. SO I have to make sure that it really needs a rebuild before doin anything.

anybody has a used godzilla spare ?

AdamB

Member +
You would be better off rebuilding it rather than buying another turbo.
You can get rebuild kits off ebay mate, rebuild it yourself or send the turbo off with the rebuild kit. Make sure the shaft gets balanced as well.

tersplat

Member +
I had the same problem with my used 42 trim T3 on a brand new engine. I knew the oils seals were leaking because I had black oil out the downpipe, so I decided I would take it for a test drive and let the seals recondition themselves since it hadnt been run in a few years and they did. It no longer smokes, leaks, or anything. I say take it for a nice drive and let it warm up and it might seal its self. It would save you a lot of headache if it did. I hope this fixes it as more work is never fun.

Eric