BMW 330d

Texx

Super Moderator
I've pretty well much made up my mind that the Starlet has to go, I'm paying to insure the thing and all it's doing is spending 99% of it's time sat on the drive seizing up and looking very sorry for itself. At the same time I'm running around in a 2.2 diesel Vauxhall that I have very little interest in and get very little enjoyment from.

I'm now looking at the BMW E46 330cd sport and would like to hear other peoples views or experiences with them. As much as I wouldn't mind an auto I'm not sure if it's the right choice and so will most likely look for a manual. Can anyone give me some idea of typical fuel consumption and also the expected difference between an auto and manual. Any common problems to look for or any other general information would be appreciated.

This is the sort of thing I'll be looking for:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-330-3-0TD-2998cc-auto-2004-Cd-Sport-SEE-FULL-HD-VIDEO-PRESENTATION-/120943946984?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c28d22ce8#ht_1339wt_1397

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-55-BMW-330-3-0TD-Cd-Sport-for-sale-in-AYR-/320976730938?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4abbb43b3a#ht_1074wt_1397

Inlet manifold swirl flaps are a night mare but an easy fix if the don't fail to bad
Also suspension bushes are pretty poop but go polly once and they drive lovely

Ted

Member +
Only the 320 is frugal. Don't be fooled by the 330 official figures. Its thirsty. Good going thing tho.

Texx

Super Moderator
Thanks for the reply Mark. I'm aware of the swirl flap issues, the kits to remove the plates and block off the holes are relatively cheap and look easy enough to install so that'll be one of the first things on the list to do. Which bushes are the most common to fail?

Texx

Super Moderator
I'm not overly bothered with fuel consumption, anything around the 30MPG mark would be nice. I'm sure the 330d will be better on fuel than the M3 CSL I keep looking. :haha:

AdDaMan

Member +
LOL, after advising everyone else who wants a good diesel to get a d4d avensis you decide to buy a 330d lmao!!

Tis the right choice though.

Texx

Super Moderator
If I were looking for something practical and reliable for the Mrs to carry the dogs around in, then yes the Avensis would be at the top of my list, but I'm not so it's not!

Thanks for the reply Mark. I'm aware of the swirl flap issues, the kits to remove the plates and block off the holes are relatively cheap and look easy enough to install so that'll be one of the first things on the list to do. Which bushes are the most common to fail?

ye the delete kit is the way forward inc a panel k&n for more air flow
usually the front are rear bushes cause excessive tyre wear on the inner edges also some models have a stupid ball joint design and the ball joint is held by a rubber bush but im sure u can fit z3 solid ball joints (i think !!) do some forum research im sure ul find all the info u need
but apart from that a good remap and a got one flying machine really nice cars

Last edited:

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Only the 320 is frugal. Don't be fooled by the 330 official figures. Its thirsty. Good going thing tho.

From personal experience? I'd say 47mpg over 10k miles is pretty good.

Texx, I'll give you some info later when I have time as I've done a good bit of reading into them and have been running mine for 6 months now.

Paul_JJ

Member +
I've driven a Sport Version 2010 BMW, Diesel, 2L Auto - 1st series. I was well impressed with the car, the gearbox is incredible, get that and you will never come back to the manual! The MPG is well above 30, unless you drive like a lunatic. The comfort level is awesome, handles better than starlet (even lowered one), brakes can stop the earth rotation! Very sensitive and about 10 times better than My mintex 1144 on a starlet. Also the car is faster then a standard starlet on acceleration.

As far as I know new auto gearboxes give better MPG then the Manual. Also you can switch any gear you want manually while in sport mode, with no clutch at all.

The only drawbacks with the BMW is the service and tyres - NOT cheap.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Right, well firstly I think it's a brilliant car! I use it as a daily driver doing a 45mile commute on a little bit of b roads and mostly dual carriageway, previously I was running a Volvo S60 D5 (2.2litre 5 cylinder turbo diesel auto) - it was boring as shit but not mine!

I picked up the 330d with 92k on the clock for a good price, mine is a sport saloon with plenty options and a manual - I was very fussy in wanting a manual sport with the alcantara trim (looks nice but doesn't wear as well as the leather - mine is worn through at one point on the drivers side bolster) and more importantly the later M57N engine which went from late 2003 till they stopped selling the E46 in 2005. The earlier engine is just an M57, the later N came with more power (204bhp), torque (300 lb ft) and less emissions (so cheaper tax - £118 for 6 months, £225 for 12) and is more econimical due to it having a 6 speed in manual form rather than a 5 (auto's drop economy by about 5 mpg)- a complete win win win!

Completely standard it's a very nice drive, comfortable, smooth and very planted with plenty torque, performance would be on par with a standard GT/Glanza but it's so much more effortless due to the wide torque band. The engine is very smooth and revs nicely - not like normal diesels, it happily pulls right through the revs and sounds good too!

It's a great car for everyday but when you want to start pushing on along a nice road the car flows beautifully, I had a brilliant late night drive down from the highlands last night, nice and comfy on the boring bits of dual carriageway with the cruise control on, plenty poke to overtake and then great fun once I got to the backroads.

It's plenty quick enough however a remap will make it even better. For a few hundred rubs you'll get an even smoother power delivery and a good deal more power and torque too (upto around 250bhp and 380lb ft) plus the economy improves. As above after running mine for over 10k miles my average is 47.8mpg according to the onboard trip - and that is not driving efficiently!

I've had no actual problems with mine since getting it, one issue I did find was the flexible coupling between the gearbox output shaft and propshaft,also called the guibo, was worn and causing clunks between shifts. This commonly wears due to the torque - and isn't helped when heavy shifting. The parts costs £50 and is easy to change.

I did carry out some "perventative" problem maintenance when I first got mine - the swirl flaps you obviously know about, although this is not a big issue on the M57N its still peace of mind if you remove them.

The oil separator feeds the turbo and the original part is a "loo roll" type filter which clogs easily when that happens you say bye bye turbo, BMW revised the design to a cyclone type which is maintenance free and again cheap (£40) and easy to change. They can be smokey before this is changed also. Bypassing the EGR valve will also make the car run better as it won't be sucking on its own exhaust, it can either be removed plugged or programmed out.

Bushes wear as it is a heavy car, as Mark said the front wishbone bushes are part of the wishbone so the whole wishbone needs changing to do these - I've got new ones lying next to me ready to change (100 quid a side so not too bad), track rods will also go about the same time.

Brakes are ok standard but depending on condition can overheat easily, my discs had never been changed and were completely shot (not surprising after 100k), but having just changed the rears they're getting better (again new front discs and pads are lying on the floor next to me). I was pleasantly surprised again and the price of these, Pagid front discs and pads for £99, rears with the handbrake shoes also for £130.

For parts eurocarparts.com are very good, they always have good deals on to get upto 30% off the prices listed.

I've been advised it's best to service these every 10k, the onboard computer works out the intervals but is optimistic (22k between oil change?!), you'll need 7 litres of decent gold stuff, ie castrol edge 5w 30 FST - £60 incl filter. The service interval timer can be easily reset without a tool too so fine for diy'ing.

The one worry is if the turbo does go, these are pretty much £1000 and apparently can't be rebuilt as they're VNT's although made by Garret. The horror stories of turbos going are more related to the 320d's.

On the 320d compared to 330d - there is not a huge difference in economy but a massive difference in refinement and power, the 2 litre is harsh and needs thrashed to go anywhere, I've been told this by a few people who would never touch the 20d when the 30d is not much more of an outlay.

That's enough of a brain dump for now! :homer:Any questions let me know but as I said right at the start they're brilliant cars and imo give the best compromise between refinement, speed, economy and fun - I love the fact it laps up cruising along a motorway one minute then thrashing along a back road the next.

Oh and did I mention wet roundabouts.....

Last edited: