Brake Carrier Stuck to Disc

Djaniero

Member +
Hi guys,

I replaced the rear wheel bearings on my GT earlier (Passenger Side).

Removed the old bearings and races, cleaned everything fitted new race's and bearings, then packed with grease.
However when fitting the brake carrier back on, my disc is stuck and won't move.
With the wheel attached its extremely stiff to move around.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the new bearings, as everything spun freely prior to me stripping it down?
Any ideas?

Thanks

Jay

Admin
The carrier bolts to the axle so it shouldn't have moved so I'd guess the disc is out of line. Well, that's how it works in my head at least :)

Remove it, inspect the bearings and compare them with your old ones then refit. Might just not be seated 100%

Is it only on one side or both?

Djaniero

Member +
Thanks Jay.
Its just the one side. Car has been making a strange noise for a while...I turned out to be a fcked rear passenger side bearing.

I'll remove and inspect it again tomorrow and report back.

ps - I ordered the rear caliper pistons from that place you suggested in the end...had a 4 week wait, but really top class service :cool:

Jay

Admin
Good stuff, I had a similar wait on stuff too, this pandemic has wrecked a lot of business models.

If the noise has been there a while inspect the stub axle that the bearing sits on. It could have seen a lot of heat and be out of shape. Hopefully not though as it's a mess to sort.

Djaniero

Member +
All sorted lads. Stripped everything down again and realised the inner bearing race wasn't seated in properly, this causing the disc to sit further out as you said Jay.
I managed to get it finished, just before the heavens opened up thankfully .

Yeah I can imagine a lot of business's have been screwed with the lock down. Now looks like things are about to get even more grim with the second Uk lockdown on Thursday. Strange thing is, schools and colleges are to remain open. Doesn't make any sense.

Djaniero

Member +
Thanks man...Always something with these cars lol. I'm in the process of modding a spare dizzy to get the car to run on my standalone ecu aswell.
I'm still undecided about selling her again. Kind of lost interest in her tbh. But looking at the way the markets heading, for 90s jdm cars at the moment....it maybe wise to hold on to her.

SKINY

Lifer
Parked in corner off the yard just, blocked in by about 10 scrap cars I noticed on Saturday lol
Drove it flat out 2 years all weathers snow rain the lot so hopefully It wont get much lighter :D

Djaniero

Member +
LOL....I think I'll probably do that with mine at some point after I finally get it remapped.
I've read mixed reviews about using car covers for long periods outside...but I'll get something sorted one way or another :cool:

SKINY

Lifer
I used a cover for a while on a 323 I had years back and it did ok, it wasnt an expensive one by any means(30£) but it worked for about 9 months then it was bate lol
Few England land celica owners I know spent between 3/400 on proper fitted jobs complete with wing mirror pockets and they really rate them, personally I wouldn't use one again, wrapping them up for ages I've read isint good for paint, I've also read the opposite.
I whined on at Jay everytime I seen the MK1 covered up :D

Calum122

Member +
My little GT has gone up into dry storage now. Having never driven it, but suffered headache after headache, I've thrown in the towel.

Maybe one day I will fetch it out of storage and fix it up...

Ayi2Sbl.jpg

Djaniero

Member +
I used a cover for a while on a 323 I had years back and it did ok, it wasnt an expensive one by any means(30£) but it worked for about 9 months then it was bate lol
Few England land celica owners I know spent between 3/400 on proper fitted jobs complete with wing mirror pockets and they really rate them, personally I wouldn't use one again, wrapping them up for ages I've read isint good for paint, I've also read the opposite.
I whined on at Jay everytime I seen the MK1 covered up :D

In my teenage years, I wouldn't have thought twice about spending 400 on a car cover lol. I'm too sensible/a cheap skate these days though:D.
I'll have a look online and see what I can find within budget:cool:

Djaniero

Member +
My little GT has gone up into dry storage now. Having never driven it, but suffered headache after headache, I've thrown in the towel.

Maybe one day I will fetch it out of storage and fix it up...

Ayi2Sbl.jpg

Sorry to to hear you threw in the towel Cal. What needs doing to it or shouldn't I ask :( ?

Has your bro still got his?

dark_knight

Member +
All sorted lads. Stripped everything down again and realised the inner bearing race wasn't seated in properly, this causing the disc to sit further out as you said Jay.
I managed to get it finished, just before the heavens opened up thankfully .

Yeah I can imagine a lot of business's have been screwed with the lock down. Now looks like things are about to get even more grim with the second Uk lockdown on Thursday. Strange thing is, schools and colleges are to remain open. Doesn't make any sense.
Glad you sorted this. Usually, the locking nut on the axle stub also decides how freely the assembly rolls so hope you got this right too.. :)