Camber

Arnold

Lifer
Hello

Topmount.jpg

Based on the above image, can you tell me how much each line represents in terms of degrees, on camber adjustment?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
Arnold

ChrisD

Member +
It isn't that simple... every car is different, so during alignment, you can adjust the upper mount to get the camber you need.

Mikey4410

Member +
i have 2 degrees up front on my teins and that was setup via 3d alignment.3 degrees is very aggressive.and as u know the rears arent camber adjustable although im going to get my rear beem adjusted to allow for this....

Arnold

Lifer
i have 2 degrees up front on my teins and that was setup via 3d alignment.3 degrees is very aggressive.and as u know the rears arent camber adjustable although im going to get my rear beem adjusted to allow for this....

I assume that is negative camber you've gone for. I need to have mine done. One of them is on 0 and the other is pointing way off, yet when it came to the alignment, it checked out fine. Not sure why really if they're set to different cambers.

Mikey4410

Member +
The camber i have looks like / \ lol.it is alot more responsive on turn- in but gives quicker tyre wear. Alignment makes a world of difference to handling but ure car needs to be setup high wise as adjustments affect tow in /out and camber.do need rear camber though which is fustrating

WallaceGlanza

Member +
I assume that is negative camber you've gone for. I need to have mine done. One of them is on 0 and the other is pointing way off, yet when it came to the alignment, it checked out fine. Not sure why really if they're set to different cambers.

There is also an amount of camber adjustment where the strut bolts to the hub - one of the bolt holes is oval.

Paul_JJ

Member +

Take the pics of your top mounts plz - so we can have a look. I belive if one is 0 and the other is pointing way off then the suspension was NOT installed in the right way, as it is indeed possible to do with the meister R's...

Arnold

Lifer
There is also an amount of camber adjustment where the strut bolts to the hub - one of the bolt holes is oval.

I wasn't aware of that, cheers

Take the pics of your top mounts plz - so we can have a look. I belive if one is 0 and the other is pointing way off then the suspension was NOT installed in the right way, as it is indeed possible to do with the meister R's...

Will do. I think initially they were installed incorrectly but they're right now, but yeah i'll get some photos after work.

SupaStu

Member +
I've 1.5 degrees negative camber on my teins, I think thats about the norm for starlets, my drivers side is slightly more adjusted than the passenger.

Arnold

Lifer
I haven't managed to get a photo of my top mounts yet but hopefully later. My car is parked a few miles from where I live so only comes out at the weekends.

I've 1.5 degrees negative camber on my teins, I think thats about the norm for starlets, my drivers side is slightly more adjusted than the passenger.

And does it handle OK? I've finally found somewhere who does coilover adjustment and wheel alignment but the bloke is having a baby, so it's booked in for around a months time.

SupaStu

Member +
Handles fine, no issues. Running just tein superstreet coilovers, with 14" rims, and Yokohama Advan tyres, 18/60 profile for my country roads ;)

Paul_JJ

Member +
I haven't managed to get a photo of my top mounts yet but hopefully later. My car is parked a few miles from where I live so only comes out at the weekends.

And does it handle OK? I've finally found somewhere who does coilover adjustment and wheel alignment but the bloke is having a baby, so it's booked in for around a months time.

I think its fitted wrong on the top mount on one side - Jay17 is telling you how to fix your problem! I think he is right!

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Mine are set quite differently one side to the other and are definitely fitted the right way round - on one side the socket head screws are fitted on the inner holes at the other side their on the outer. Mine were set up by a company that do alignment for track cars too, so you may be worrying about nothing. :)

Arnold

Lifer
I got a photo of the top mounts today, so i'll get those uploaded tomorrow. I've had a full alignment done on mine a while back but the handling still isn't that good. I've since fitted ARBS, strut braces, and tried adjusting the hard/soft setting but cannot get it how i want it.

Arnold

Lifer
It feels a bit slidey in the bends, and usually have to lift off as I feel it will understeer straight on. Same for roundabouts or long corners, I know if I put the power down, the car will just go straight. Maybe it just cannot grip, or I have it too hard, but it's not happy. Also at speed, the car goes very light.

Anyway, here's the photos of the top mounts! Shame they've gone rusty so need to clean them up a bit. Do they look the correct way round though etc?

Topmount_L.PNG

Topmount_R.PNG

Paul_JJ

Member +
Definitely turn the 1st picture Top mount 180 degrees, they both should be around the same or close adjustments, unless you have other problems! The handeling will improve if you soften the front and stiffen the rear, also the right choice of tyres combines with weather and good road surface is important as well...

WallaceGlanza

Member +
You can just make out mine in these photos and should see that they differ a lot but the camber as measured by laser alignment is the same;

CIMG0673.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

CIMG0672.jpg

There's fitting instructions that come with the meisters showing which way round the plates should be and I'm sure it shows them with the socket head cap screws sitting towards the rear the way you have them but you should check that - if you still have the instructions!

Last edited:

Arnold

Lifer
Definitely turn the 1st picture Top mount 180 degrees, they both should be around the same or close adjustments, unless you have other problems! The handeling will improve if you soften the front and stiffen the rear, also the right choice of tyres combines with weather and good road surface is important as well...

I think I have the same setting all round, so will try that out. Not sure the top mount is the wrong way round though! Someone told me previously it was and it has already been rotated once. Wouldn't mind Jerrick's feedback on that