car wont start..fuel pump wont come on when ignition is on?

Aidan-G

Member +
ive just put another engine loom into my car..my old one was buttchered wher the ecu goes..anyway!
the car wont even turn over now,once i turn on the ignition the fuel pump wont even come on..im getting no engine management light,so i cant do a diagnostics check!
when i turn the key fully i hear a click,at the same time the radio goes off(normal i think)the click is coming from the starter fuse,ive checked and it is making contact..so what could be my problem does anyone know??
ive left it for the night because my head is stirred,ill have a go in the morning..but if anyone has any ideas let me know:)thanks!

Spoonz

Member +
hmm interesting.
Maybe u blew a fuse somewhere or u have a very poor connection in the loom itself

Idrees

Banned
You messed with the dashboard wiring loom? On the EP91 these is a plug behind the dash that goes to the ECU. If that's not plugged in, it's probably your problem.

Aidan-G

Member +
You messed with the dashboard wiring loom? On the EP91 these is a plug behind the dash that goes to the ECU. If that's not plugged in, it's probably your problem.

i have been messing with the dash loom,but im nearly 100%sure i put all back properly..ill give it a good going over tommorw with a fresh head,lol..i taught maybe the alarm may be stoping it,but the alarm is working ok,ive had a problem with the alarm before,with the imobiliser but that never stoped it from turning over...still funny the fuel pump wont prime and no e.management light..thanks for the replies!

dac69er

Super Moderator
fuel pump doesnt come on with the ignition, it starts when its firing.

the clicking you here, is it the starter relay or the solenoid on the starter motor itself? is the car turning over at all?

Aidan-G

Member +
fuel pump doesnt come on with the ignition, it starts when its firing.

the clicking you here, is it the starter relay or the solenoid on the starter motor itself? is the car turning over at all?

i could always hear my pump prime?when i turn on the ignition?...

the clicking is coming from the starter fuse itself,just at the fuse box,i can see the copper bits making contact..

no the car wont even turn over,just clicks and no more:(

dac69er

Super Moderator
i have been messing with the dash loom,but im nearly 100%sure i put all back properly..ill give it a good going over tommorw with a fresh head,lol..i taught maybe the alarm may be stoping it,but the alarm is working ok,ive had a problem with the alarm before,with the imobiliser but that never stoped it from turning over...still funny the fuel pump wont prime and no e.management light..thanks for the replies!

fuel pump doesnt prime anyway. as for the ecu light, if its not an ecu related problem it wont bring the light on anyway.
it may well be the immobiliser, may be worth disconnecting it if its not too hard?

dac69er

Super Moderator
mine doesnt prime? only if i turn the ignition on then off with the turbo timer running without startin it.

might be worth checking the starter motor if the relay is going. is there definitey power to the relay?

Aidan-G

Member +
fuel pump doesnt prime anyway. as for the ecu light, if its not an ecu related problem it wont bring the light on anyway.
it may well be the immobiliser, may be worth disconnecting it if its not too hard?

mmm,im not to sure with the alarm,on how to dissconect it?but i'l give it ago anyway tommorow..thats good its not an ecu problem!hopefully its something small!

Aidan-G

Member +
mine doesnt prime? only if i turn the ignition on then off with the turbo timer running without startin it.

might be worth checking the starter motor if the relay is going. is there definitey power to the relay?

ive changed all the fuses..starter,efi,and the main fuse??yep thers deffinitley power goin to the relay...

dac69er

Super Moderator
if theres power the the relay and not the the starter mototr, it will either be the starter motor, a connection or the wiring.

Aidan-G

Member +
if theres power the the relay and not the the starter mototr, it will either be the starter motor, a connection or the wiring.

maybe!the only problem i had was one of the connections to the starter motor was different,but i used my old one of the other loom..so thats ok

then the earth to the starter motor!that may not be on rite?dont suppose anyone has a pic of the starter motor:(
thanks dac!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
ground connection is through the gearbox/engine. so as long as that earthed correctly you should be fine.

Trevor

Member +
Problem

Check and double check all your earth connections.It's unbelievable the weird things that can happen it ALL your earths are not connected and making a good conact.

Jay

Admin
Usually all those signs point to a dead battery lad, barring an earth problem I can't think of any other common ailments.

Keep us posted.

Aidan-G

Member +
Usually all those signs point to a dead battery lad, barring an earth problem I can't think of any other common ailments.

Keep us posted.

ive fully charged the battery?

shouldnt the e.management light come on when you turn on the ignition and then go off again??

Jay

Admin
Swap the battery for a good one just in case.

That ECU lamp should be coming on buddy, strange one.

When you say the starter connection was different what do you mean? I know there was a change in starters and the connector was changed from round to oval/oval to round at some stage.