Cheap steel head gasket possibility.

Skalabala

Member +
Hi members :)

I was wondering of the idea of using the 2nd gen 5efe head gasket.

Any opinions? I think it will work great with copper spray and dished pistons :)

why cheap out when there are plenty of good quality metal head gaskets on the market already in the correct thickness.

Also why copper spary? this is a real 1970's trick to headgasket sealing lol

Skalabala

Member +
I am from South Africa bud. And I am not paying the amount that is needed.
R2000+ for a HG and R900 for a full set :D
I like using the copper spray but what do you suggest Tim? I suppose new gaskets are suppose to work without any sealant?

ah i see, its a location issue for you :(

the new headgaskets well as long as i can remember really are designed to seal without sealant. The black finish they have is a layer that is designed to stick when it gets crushed or gets hot. This is another reason why your not meant to re-use a metal head gasket

Skalabala

Member +
ah i see, its a location issue for you :(

the new headgaskets well as long as i can remember really are designed to seal without sealant. The black finish they have is a layer that is designed to stick when it gets crushed or gets hot. This is another reason why your not meant to re-use a metal head gasket

Yes you are correct on the black coating. But I have had problems with slight water leakage in the past due to surfaces not being skimmed like they should have been for a steel gasket :(

But I probably won't use copper spray if I am happy with the skimm job :)

So what do you think of the idea for a poor man? It should hold boost better than a graphite one right? :D
Thanks Tim :)

oh yeah poor skim is going to cause all types of problems.

Well the common thing was like you said copper or aluminium spray paint to act as a sealing layer. I've never used it incase it had any negative effects with the original black sealing coating. But when this practice was common place the uprated metal head gaskets didn't have anything. just shiny metal.

Skalabala

Member +
Yeah the last two builds I did I made sure the skim job was good for the black steel gasket :D
Now I just need a place that does not charge $50 for shipping on a gasket set :(