Checking LSD Type

TO82

Member +
Hi guys, just wondering how difficult it is to open up a gearbox to find what type of LSD it has, as i may be getting an lsd box but i duno what type of lsd is in there and certain LSD's need certain oils do they not, asin would using standard gbox oil with a certain lsd damage it etc?

Any tutorials or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
open it up & post up pics of the diff.. then well be able to tell ya what u have :)

kon

TO82

Member +
Ye i mean what Make and kinda of LSD is in there, also how hard is it to remove the LSD and are there any tutorials etc?

Cheers

TO82

Member +
I think it would be easier if i didnt have to open it tho! lol

What if i was to use oil for a clutch type lsd in a helical lsd?

Is there any way of telling the type by looking into the hole where the cups sit in the gearbox?

And thanks for the link :)

350ep70gr

Member +
I think it would be easier if i didnt have to open it tho! lol

What if i was to use oil for a clutch type lsd in a helical lsd?

Is there any way of telling the type by looking into the hole where the cups sit in the gearbox?

And thanks for the link :)
lol I dont think it is possible mate without opening the box. The only other way i can imagine is to stick with the expirience of some one who can feel it while driving it because diferent lsd give slight different fillings-noise. Not sure if can be done and i think even with this way will be nothing more than a guess thing.
With a close box you can say only if it is lsd or not inside! Not what make.

TO82

Member +
Ye i know what you mean, the owner of the box seemed to think it had TRD Helical lsd due to there being no noise when turning etc, but as you say i dont think you can be 100% sure. What do you think about using clutch type oil in a helical lsd? is it beter than using normal oil in a clutch type? lol

350ep70gr

Member +
Ye i know what you mean, the owner of the box seemed to think it had TRD Helical lsd due to there being no noise when turning etc, but as you say i dont think you can be 100% sure. What do you think about using clutch type oil in a helical lsd? is it beter than using normal oil in a clutch type? lol
I can not advise about oil type as i am not lsd user yet but i imagine every type need a specific oil . Maybe wait for some other inputs.
Chris