Clutch for 300bhp?

dac69er

Super Moderator
Aiming for 300bhp.

I currently have an exedy organic clutch, but not sure if that would be up to the task of 300bhp?

I don't want to go with a paddle clutch as they are horrible.

I was looking at a twin plate clutch like the osgiken. Are there any other options out there?

dac69er

Super Moderator
That's what I am weighing up. Looking at a wepr hybrid td04.

If I can get a nice driveable 300bhp, then I would have to go forged.

If everything I want to achieve can be achieved, then I will just go for it. You only live once

starletsy

Member +
When I had my 300hp one I ran an exeddy paddle and never found it a problem or difficult to live with.
The ORC has been the choice that most people have gone for in the past though that wanted a clutch with good feel for that sort of power.

Djaniero

Member +
That's what I am weighing up. Looking at a wepr hybrid td04.

If I can get a nice driveable 300bhp, then I would have to go forged.

If everything I want to achieve can be achieved, then I will just go for it. You only live once

Glad to hear you're going all the way with it man...like you said YOLO :cool:

I've sent you a DM on Bookface, of another UK based Hybrid TD04 that may fit the bill.

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
When I had my 300hp one I ran an exeddy paddle and never found it a problem or difficult to live with.
The ORC has been the choice that most people have gone for in the past though that wanted a clutch with good feel for that sort of power.
I have an exedy paddle on my ep85 and it's not nice. In not worried about how hard it is or how on/off it is as such, the worst bit is when you downshift and bring the clutch back up. If you don't just smash it in or slip it by heel and toeing, the clutch judders and feels horrible. I just hate it and is the worst part about driving the car, I kick myself for leaving it in there when I got the box rebuilt.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Any other opinions?

In tempted with the orc as I want a nice clutch, cost is no issue.

The exedy organic is nice, but now I have had it off and seen it, I know it won't handle 300bhp. An exedy paddle is awful, so would never get one of those again!

i don't know if this would work for your purposes,,,but i'll throw it out there
some persons have used uprated organic clutches along with heavy duty ( or extra heavy duty) pressure plates to run higher powered cars
so you kind of get the driving comfort of the organic clutch and higher clamping force of the uprated pressure plate
the clutch pedal tends to feel moderately firmer than stock and drivability is usually very good
however, if you are into drag racing and/or you trash the car every time you drive it, then this set up may not be for you..if you drive sensibly, then it could work for a long time

whatever clutch set up...i'd suggest you get a new clutch release fork or properly check over your existing one,,,they sometimes break/bend with uprated clutches