Clutch Master or Slave Cylinder problem???

terccraz05

Member +
So I was driving the other day when I came to a stop I had the car in gear and then the car started moving forward as if I released the pedal almost wreccking into the car in front of me. I looked and saw that the master cyclinder had fluid. I the tested the slave cylinder and saw that it moved fine. So I bleed the line again, and filled the remainder of the master resivor. Well a week later the same thing happens. I look at the master resivor and notice that its completely empty.I checked for signs of leaking but everything looked dry along the line. I refill, and bleed. I drive the car for 3 hours to see if anything changed. I almost went the full time and then it did it again. I checked the fluid and it was full. You guys experience this before??? I replaced the slave and master cylinder once before and I would hate to have to do it again but I will if I need to. This seems to now becoming a safety issue any help would be great. Do the Heavy duty 6 puck clutches cause this problem?

Jay

Admin
Definite signs of a clutch system failure.

When this happened on mine the slave cylinder seals had failed and the master cylinder ones were not far behind them. Took a fresh set of cylinders to sort it.

Hope that helps buddy,

Jay

terccraz05

Member +
Definite signs of a clutch system failure.

When this happened on mine the slave cylinder seals had failed and the master cylinder ones were not far behind them. Took a fresh set of cylinders to sort it.

Hope that helps buddy,

Jay

Yeah I replaced them both once but I may need to do it again. Does toyota sell new ones or are they remanufactured?

1_3LStarseo

Member +
Slave Cylinder

I was lucky to make it home the night I did when this happened to me. The next morning I got in my car I hardly made it around the neighborhood and back to my house. There was a definite leak from the Slave Cylinder, down my case, and on to the ground. I had a clutch with 20-30% increased load thrown in maybe 6 months ago now, so I imagine it just wore out my OE slave cylinder in doing so?

How complicated is swapping out an old slave cylinder for a new one, or am I gonna need some help from a pro? Besides all that, a new Paseo slave cylinder should work the same, right? I've seen them both and they look identical. It would just be a huge pain in the ass to need more work done to my car than what I'm theorizing now, not too mention out of my budget.

Any advice is much appreciated and repped for.

-Dan

Eoin

Member +
correct me if im wrong anyone but if its leaking down your pedal man,its from the master cylinder no?? you can get a kit to rebuild the master cylinder as this happend me berfore.. its only cheap and easy to fit.

1_3LStarseo

Member +
correct me if im wrong anyone but if its leaking down your pedal man, its from the master cylinder no??

I'd think the same thing, thew master cylinder was definitely dried up, I clutched all the fluid out of it driving around that morning I'm guessing. The clutch fluid was leaking straight out of the rubber grommet of the slave however. first I was worried it was something gone wrong INSIDE my trans, like a clutch fork of kilter or somethin'.

Jay

Admin
Slave cylinder is bolted to the box with 2 x 12mm bolts and the clutch pipe will need undone with a 10mm brakeline spanner (don't use a regular one as it'll round the edges of the nut).

Just bleed the clutch system after replacement.

If you are still experiencing issues the master cylinder will probably have been damaged from the lack of fluid. This is a little more interesting to remove but perserverance is the key. ;)

Oh and don't get any of that clutch fluid on your paintwork, it's nasty stuff.

Jay

1_3LStarseo

Member +
Already on it--I've got the part ordered and my friend lined up to help me with the install.

Thanks a lot, bud!

:beer: