Coil differences?

dac69er

Super Moderator
I am aware there are 2 different coils, the older push on type and the clip type.

Are they the same other than the clip part? I want to try a new coil on my mk1 and rather than replace the coil, dizzi and leads I wondered if i could simply remove the clip part and then push on my current leads?

Anyone have 2 to compare or know from experience?

Jay

Admin
Hey Duncan, just standing in the garage trying this for you and I think it's a no go. The boot type relies on an airtight seal around the connection. Not only are those tabs in the way the diameter of it is larger too so the boot is too small to fit over the clip type coil.

Jay

Admin
Additional - just tried plugging an early type ignitor in and the plug tabs are a little different too. Just a heads up you would need to mod the connection.

dac69er

Super Moderator
thanks jay.

shame its not a simple swap with minimal modding. looks like the only way to do it is to change the coil, distributor cap and leads. interesting about the ignitor, thats another pain in the bum to deal with if i need to change that!

Calum122

Member +
*Cough* Coil On Plug conversion!

The old motors surely due a nice upgrade to modern technology no?

Jay

Admin
I ended up swapping the leads, cap and coil in the end. Retained the original ignitor unit for handiness. Two screws hold it on which is a lot simpler than modding the plug to suit.

Least we have an answer!

Jay

starles89

Fresh Recruit
hallo brother, i come from indonesian, please help me i wont know difference between igniter 4efte mk1 and mk2, thanks brother

Jay

Admin
hallo brother, i come from indonesian, please help me i wont know difference between igniter 4efte mk1 and mk2, thanks brother

Mk1 (1989-1991) part number is 89621-30010

Mk2 (1992-1995) part number is 89621-12050

The plug is a slightly different shape on them, near sure it's like a mirror image but I should be able to check at the weekend.

Jay