Compression Test Results

Sirius75

Member +
Right Guys....
Since I've owned the car back in January my bottom end has been knocking.
Most noticable when on first start up when cold. But can barely hear it once its started. So its not exactly a REALLY bad knocking bottom end.. But anyway i am wanting to get this sorted out now cos its just annoying. Went to halfords and got a compression tester to make sure there was no major damage to other engine enternals. and My Results came back as this

Cylinder 1 (gearbox side) 171psi
Cylinder 2 171psi
Cylinder 3 172psi
Cylinder 4 162psi

Now obviously No. 4 is not looking as good as all the others. But i dont know if its still within tolerances of each other. The engine still pulls very well and the previous owner actually bought new big end bearings and put them in. But I reckon the Crankshaft needed a regrind and new bearings. Does anyone reckon that still might be the case?

sx_turbo

Lifer
it's fine nothing to worry about dude.

edit, just read the whole post.

whip the sump off and have a look at the state of the bearings

Last edited:

starletjosh

Member +
if the bottom end is knocking a compression test wont really help you.all its telling you is your compression ring is working its more for top end (valves).
its most probably big end bearings or main bearings.

Mikey4410

Member +
X2 . . . Them comps are pretty good,yea as 4 the shells there only like 41quid ,thats if ure cranks not scored etc.good luck with fixing it dude!

Sirius75

Member +
I Just Remembered When I First Got The Car. The Previous Owner Mentioned About The "Little Ends" Causing The Knock. If I Were To Take My Big Ends Off And See That There Fine. How Would I Go About Seeing If Its The Little Ends? Thats A Piston Out Job Isnt It?