Compression Test Results

Galen

Lifer
Done a compression test earlier just to check how things are. Readings were 150psi across all cylinders.

Thats a good result yeh? Once its even across all cylinders.

just see some lads getting 160-170, what would be the reason for a difference?

rosso321

Member +
Alright Galen. Meet you last year in Newtown withe the black gt? I've got the same result. Below 150 I heard it be wise for engine change or rebuild. People with those figures engine is better , rings ,pistons valves are in good order
I think from the factory they were 180 psi. What milage you've got im rolling with 232000k:)

bongskag

Member +
Hi dudes,
I guess this varies depending on your compression ratio? compression ratio is 8.2:1 for standard.

Im more like 7.8:1 low comp engine. any ideas how much this would change for results.

All input greatly appreciated

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Did you test on a wide open throttle and warm engine?
It can raise the numbers if you didnt but 150 is decent

AdamB

Member +
150 is fine, think of all those miles the rings have been sealing and the valves smashing agains't the valve seats :haha:

Galen

Lifer
yeh ross I remember! ya finished in Ait? I went back to it this yearl

@Dan, engine wasnt fully warmed and wasnt at wide open throttle either.

Over 245000kms on the engine so not bad readings considering!

corofin12345

Member +
you need it warm and wide open throttle man, im surprised it gave those readings with closed throttle, shoud be a hell of a lot lower with closed throttle but will be still even with wot

Galen

Lifer
245000kms??? on original rings/pistons??
And what corofin said :)

Yep all original. I imported the car 5 years ago and it had just about 100000kms on it, so the rest has been put up by me and the engine has never been opened yet.
Unless something was done in Japan, but I dont know.

So done right with wot it will give a higher reading?

corofin12345

Member +
it should be by right ya... im 150psi across all 4 with WOT and with throttle butterfly closed i was getting 120psi ascross all 4..

rosso321

Member +
yeh ross I remember! ya finished in Ait? I went back to it this yearl

@Dan, engine wasnt fully warmed and wasnt at wide open throttle either.

Over 245000kms on the engine so not bad readings considering!

Yea man got two exams to repeat. In august. That's a good result for that temp. Mine was hot engine full throttle as I recall. 150 hum might get it done again. Ha I thought I had high milage I've to catch up now ha.

Paul_JJ

Member +
175psi is new engine spec ,,so 150 is from ring were but should be ok ,,,

I'm getting 175 psi on my completely standard 13 year old engine with 80K miles on it -) So looks like a new engine spec! I guess the secret here is the Auto gearbox as with the manual you can give the engine a hard life!