Coolant flush

Hi all

In looking to do a full coolant fluah, I have drained my radiator at got about a litre and a half of dirty coolant. Correct me if I'm wrong but the coolant system holds 4.4 litres so where is the rest of the coolant. Is there a drain in the engine block to drain this coolant. Can I flush the coolant repeatedly until clean water comes out the bottom of the radiator and then make up a 50/50 mix of coolant with the water in the coolant system. Also is red coolant used.

davehart

Member +
Its a lot less than 4.4 litres.

For a full flush you can either use of of the products to put in with water and run it around for a bit then change it. Simple way to give it a good flush is to runa hose pipe through the system, just leave the radiator hoses on and run one from the top so all the water runs out the bottom.

Best coolant to use is pre-mixed red Toyota Fourlife stuff you can get from any dealer or eBay.

Jay

Admin
Head to Toyota and buy a 5 litre bottle of red For-life premixed coolant. This should give you enough for a full system and subsequent top ups.

These cars suffer from corrosion in the cooling system as few get the coolant refresh they need. This leads to a build up of what can only be described as crud. Radiators, matrices, hoses, thermostats all can get blocked up and restricted as a result.

Ideally flush the system repeatedly until clear water is all that drains out then empty it and fill with Forlife coolant.

If you want to drain the block coolant you can find two 14mm drain plugs on the front of the block.

Jay