copper fmic?

dark_knight

Member +
i was looking around locally at fabricators who can build me a custom fmic - primarily because import costs/charges/taxes are ridiculous for me :( & they (fabricators) do splendid work as i've seen from other projects done. they did mention however that they would be using copper pipes with aluminium fins on my fmic project. i'm on here to hear your opinions on this material combo, pros, cons, further recommendations..?

planning to build it with the following dimensions: 500 x 40 x 200mm (L x W x H) and have 50mm piping (in/outlet). have read a lot from the fmic king thread so i hope i'm making an informed decision.

kellygt

Member +
I'm no expert but wouldnt copper be bad as its like a conductor for heat hence the reason why its preferred in home heating systems and the whole idea of an intercooler is to cool your intake charge

dark_knight

Member +
catch-22

@Skalabala: lol at steal and pawn for scrap metal.. :D

@kellygt: well, the original/initial idea behind using copper is for it to easily allow the charge air to loose heat to the ambient air when you are in motion as that's when any intercooler is most efficient - in motion. there may be some reverse heat to the intake air when stationary but wouldn't know for sure by how much it's actually affected. i guess it's a catch-22 situation but i'm looking more at the pros.. :D

Last edited:

kellygt

Member +
I see I would be worried about overheating when stationary though, I thought copper would be more suited to Radiators as my friend had one custom built for his Lancer Gsr a while back

dark_knight

Member +
@kellygt: well, your concerns are rightfully founded but even a radiator is a heat-exchanger, just like the fmic. only instead of cooling coolant, it's cooling air.. :) let me hear what the rest have to say. i haven't decided yet and defo appreciate your input so i hope it doesn't look like i'm shooting down your ideas..

i'm not sure how i'll deal with the copper discoloration though.. a lick of paint maybe..?

Last edited:
Pros:
-better heat transfer
-would need a smaller surface area to exchange heat
-smaller intercooler would help with turbo lag (not really turbo lag, but the time it takes to pressurize a very large intercooler)

Cons:
-weighs more
-more expensive

the weight to heat transfer ratio makes it not worth it. also copper takes alot of time to cool down, so water spaying would be a must

dark_knight

Member +
water-cooled?

@starletgtturbo1: water cooling would be amust..? really..? that sucks.. not looking at running high power so i don't think i still have to do the water-cooler spray..