Crank pulley - is it true that... ?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i was thinking of changing mine as its chipped, and asked a friend to do me an aluminium one.

then i was told that standard crank pulley has some sort of rubber that absorbs impacts so it wont damage the crank... i never noticed this and i don't want to remove the pulley for nothing again.

can someone confirm this?

sheldon

350ep70gr

Member +
i was thinking of changing mine as its chipped, and asked a friend to do me an aluminium one.

then i was told that standard crank pulley has some sort of rubber that absorbs impacts so it wont damage the crank... i never noticed this and i don't want to remove the pulley for nothing again.

can someone confirm this?

sheldon

Yes it is like you said inside to absorb some vibration from the crank.
As far your new aluminium is balanced then you will not have any broblem. A friend run one from 4efe at about 4 years know. 3 of the four years on the redline constantly lol:p

Chris

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
hmm but to balance it you have to remove the crank and balance it as a whole unit!

so its not worth changing it?:(

350ep70gr

Member +
hmm but to balance it you have to remove the crank and balance it as a whole unit!

so its not worth changing it?:(

Yea if you want to be absolute right you need to balance everything which is attached to the crank like piston rods combination,flywheel,pressure plate,screws,crank pulley. But if you balance the new pulley on its own then also will be ok. Assumming your internals are already ok and balance and vibration free.
In an other situation with a chiped pulley you will get an amount of vibration but since the oem one has the dumpers inside you get away with noticing nothing. Am i right?Or you feel anything strange? The other solution is to machine(in a machine shop) the oem one all around till the chiped part is dissapeared. Assuming you dont need the outer belt.

Chris

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
there is a bit of vibration going up in revs but im not sure if that was there or no before it was chipped? lol

350ep70gr

Member +
there is a bit of vibration going up in revs but im not sure if that was there or no before it was chipped? lol

If you think that the pulley cause that change it immidiately regardless if it is an oem or an aftermarket or else you are asking for troubles sheldon.

Chris

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
no i dont have a spare one and im going to gozo on friday with the car... so i cannot change it in the weekend. and tomorowo i was going to fit the antilift kit plus rear engine mount (in 2hrs break) lol

350ep70gr

Member +
no i dont have a spare one and im going to gozo on friday with the car... so i cannot change it in the weekend. and tomorowo i was going to fit the antilift kit plus rear engine mount (in 2hrs break) lol

Only thing i can tell you is that it is critical and will effect engines life(and performance).After this it is up to you which job will go first. The less you destroy in an unbalance combination is the bearings.

Chris

i also know someone running a 4efe one for ...aaaahhhh....a LONG time now, easily over 5 years:haha:...no issues what so ever

if u can get one froma 4efe , its worth a try, u'll see what i mean when u put it in your hand:cool:

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i also know someone running a 4efe one for ...aaaahhhh....a LONG time now, easily over 5 years:haha:...no issues what so ever

if u can get one froma 4efe , its worth a try, u'll see what i mean when u put it in your hand:cool:

they are lighter right??

will i spoke to killamats today and he said its best leaving it like it is cos of the damper it has or else it will put strain on the crank.

i think if its fine to put a 4efe one its also fine to put a machined one?

are the 4efe and 4efte cranks the same? so 4efe and 4efte pulleys are balanced the same from factory?

they are lighter right??

will i spoke to killamats today and he said its best leaving it like it is cos of the damper it has or else it will put strain on the crank.

i think if its fine to put a 4efe one its also fine to put a machined one?

are the 4efe and 4efte cranks the same? so 4efe and 4efte pulleys are balanced the same from factory?

http://www.tercelreference.com/terc...ary/engine_components.html#crankshaft pulleys

also, i think the 4efe crank still has dampening/balancer in it at the back....i would have to check to be 100% sure

i am not sure if the 4efe and 4efte have the same cranks....might need someone to check the part numbers to make sure....as from my knowledge, there was no agreement in the past on that----some people even made the point they could be made from different materials:)...so i cant say with any surity

dac69er

Super Moderator
the 4efe has exactly the same damper setup as the 4efte. i think i have a pic somewhere. may even be an identical looking pulley

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
the 4efe has exactly the same damper setup as the 4efte. i think i have a pic somewhere. may even be an identical looking pulley

no its not.

crankshaft_pulley_4efe_4efte_compare_1.jpg

dac69er

Super Moderator
i realise that.

my 4efte pulley looks like the one on the left and so does the one on my old n/a ep91