CT9 Rebuild Kit info

Toplap

Lifer
What comprises a "good" rebuild kit? i've seen a few specific kits from places like Speedvision and others. I'm having issues with smoking now and want to have mine rebuilt. Are these turbo's somewhat easy to rebuild yourself? I've found what looks to me to be one of the most complete rebuild kits out there..what are your thoughts? is anything missing, or should this cover what most ct9's have issues with? I'd like to rebuild myself if possible as the kit is $140, while a full rebuild would set me back $400+

turbo.jpg

#1 Journal Bearings
#3 Piston Ring for Turbine End
#4 O-Ring for Seal Plate
#5 Thrust Bearing (270* or 360*)
#6 Thrust Collar
#7 Piston Ring for Compressor End
#10 Thrust Spacer
#11 Locknut for Shaft
#12 O-Ring for Compressor Housing

Toplap

Lifer
Have you had a shot at rebuilding one yourself? i'm not sure if i really wanna tackle it myself or should i bite the bullet and have it done professionally. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but i've never even opened up a turbo before

Gilly2006

Member +
a few people have asked if they can rebuild a turbo and it is fairly easy, but with the CT9 being such a small turbo it is very recommended that you get it professionally balanced!
my freind rebuilt his T3 Turbo and he marked it b4 he did it, he took it to get it balanced anyway to make sure it was ok and it was. but the same guy who rebuilt my CT9 said with these turbos you have to get them properly balanced on a machine.
if your a couple of degrees out the turbo isn't going to last long.
sorry for the rant, just thought id share my thought. don't want you doing it all and then having to rebuild it again or getting another turbo.

Toplap

Lifer
I guess i'll have to look into local shops that can do the balancing for me then....i cant have too much downtime on this car unfortunately