Custom Inlet Manifold?

sanchez

Member +
What are peoples opinions on this?

Thinking of buying some bike ITBs that are in the for sale section atm, and just wondering what people think about getting a plenum made up around them thus making a custom inlet?

Would it be worth it?
How much am i looking at for fabrication work?
Would i be better off going with an inlet made by a trader?

All opinions welcome guys, just seeing what the score is with this :D

welshowz

Member +
i was reading up on this recently and from what i could work out for the work to get itb's to work properly with a turbo the gains werent worth the hassle. mainly just what i'd read on other forums don't know how true this is..

bucketep91

Member +
i was wondering about this too but i dont have a clue about itb's, i cant get my head around how it would work. would it have an effect on spooling the turbo?

Shorty

Member +
tbh i dont think its financialy viable mate by the time some one has fab'ed all the rest in and you've spent the time and money making it work you could have bought prob 1 and a half inlets of dave.

finx

Member +
ahh something like this? .........

pb210150.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

ALaN

Member +
Gti-Rs have this setup from the factory and alot of vw lads use itbs along with turbos on the 1.8 20v engines it's a great idea that I've thought about before too but it would mean ditchin my blitz access and goin for proper management which just pushes the price up too much atm.
Would be a great mod and better than the ones goin around at the moment from what I hear.

sanchez

Member +
Thanks Ryan, just what i wanted to see :) any more info mate?

Alan, yeah keep seeing the gtir inlets beind said they can fit, but surely not???

Rory

Lifer
Put it into simple terms,

More air in, more air out.
More air out, helps the turbo. ;)

From above thought, its not just a case of making a plenum for the ITB's for them to be sealed, you will have to make sure the spindles are all sealed or say good buy to presure.
Only down side is the time to setup the ITB's to be all the same, its time consuming, but if its done right, it will work just fine.

Bucket, what cant you get your head around?

bucketep91

Member +
uve made a bit more sense of it now. i thought if the itb's where drwing in more air then the turbo wouldnt draw in as much as it would without the itb's.
so in theory it would help spool the turbo?

ALaN

Member +
I very much doubt the gti-R mani would be a straight fit but if there's enough room between the head and firewall I'm sure I could weld up a short set of runners to fit it to the starlet head.
Im pretty certain the pulsar one is in 3 parts, plenum-itbs-runners.
If you could get a set all you'd have to do is make new runners then all the time consuming parts involved in setting them up.
I used to run itbs on a 2.0 16v Williams engine and they were awesome, can't imagine what it wouldve been like with a turbo too!

Ryan, you got any videos so we can hear that beast?

Charlie, don't worry bud we'll get some on your new ep project ;-)

Rory

Lifer
It will draw in more.
Yes it will help spool, but nothing massive

uve made a bit more sense of it now. i thought if the itb's where drwing in more air then the turbo wouldnt draw in as much as it would without the itb's.
so in theory it would help spool the turbo?

ALaN

Member +
Haha we'll take a trip to a breakers I know of and get a hold of some pulsar ones then just leave the rest to me and my tig plant..... Simples

back on topic though I seriously doubt they bike carbs will cope on a turbo'd lump unless there off a busa or sumit