D.I.Y Short Shifter

Vincent-ep91

Member +
This tutorial should uncover the not so complex nature of a short shifter. I had the tools lying around. The arc welder only cost €55 and 130 2.5mm rods cost €11 so they kinda paid themselves off already :) I should provide a word of caution. I wont mention much about P.P.E but if you are attempting this yourself you should be aware of health and safety.

Tools required.

Angle grinder with cutting disc + ppe
Arc welder with mild steel welding rods + ppe
two flat head screw drivers
12mm socket with extension
hammer
punches
pliers

first off you must take out the shifter. I presume you have removed the plastics to gain access to it in the first place so i won`t include that in the tutorial or else it will go on forever.
it is held on with 4 12mm bolts, 2 clips for the linkages . their in the shape of a C and can be pulled out with a pliers.
Pictures say it all
P1010177.jpg

P1010179.jpg

P1010178.jpg

this is what you have left
P1010181.jpg

Once the shifter is off the car, you begin to dis-assemble it.
The round black fastener can be prised off with a flat head screw driver.
P1010185.jpg

using punches , hammer out the two bars. It takes some force but they come out. Both are of different sizes.
P1010186.jpg

P1010188.jpg

Once You remove the pins, the white casing around the bar can be detached from the housing.
P1010190.jpg

Next you must cut the white housing that is attached to the bar. Otherwise it will melt when you start welding.
picture shows where it is cut. Once cut it will pop off
P1010201.jpg

you also pop off the two white things using a flat head screwdriver levered against a pliars or vice grips.
P1010191.jpg

now i believe you have the bare metal stick with no plastics to burn
You must cut the bar and extend it. I used a bolt and nut to do this.
this is important , be careful when choosing how much to extend the bar by
if you extend it too much it wont clear the floor pan. You can put a bolt or some washers between floor pan and housing if this is a problem.
Shifters like comrade and ccm have spacers in the kit to sort out this problem. With trd they are built in to it. All they do is allow the extended bar to clear the floor pan.
The longer you extend it by , the faster it changes gears this is no big secret, its what seperates shifters from each other
mine is extended just enough to fit without any spacers.
use bolts if you extended it too much
P1010206.jpg

i know welding looks bad, its hard to do with an arc welder and the bar is so skinny and i didnt have a vice either but here goes :) and i only started welding so this is a first attempt. not bad imo
P1010202.jpg

when done , retrace your steps to putting shifter back together.
i will say the clip you levered off can be hammered back on with a little force, its handy to do.
P1010185.jpg