Engine light on 2 x fault codes

akyakapotter

Member +
hi there guys my engine check light keeps coming on i have done the self diagnosis on it and its throw up code 31 which is open or shut circuit on map sensor and code 34 which is excessive turbo charging pressure . just after a quick heads up on what needs to be done as am taking it back to the garage on Monday and wanna make sure its sorted properly thanks in advance nick

dark_knight

Member +
what was done to the car to make the CEL come on and give the fault codes..? did you change or readjust something..? it could help in retracing your steps.. :)

akyakapotter

Member +
nothing that i know of mate ive only owned the car for 2days light came on when i test drove it was looked at by the garage before i picked it up and the map sensor changed well thats what i was told the light came back on when i was half way home. with it over boosting will it be ok to drive back to the garage on low boost ?

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
sounds like uv hit fuel cut at some point mate... those two codes are associated with it.. if you have an fcd attached then check and make sure all the connections are on propperly, as that will throw up those codes as well.

kon

dark_knight

Member +
wow, ok. 2 days is defo not enough time to get to know the car. and yes, it would be safe to drive back to the garage on low boost and have them take a look. so long as there are no other clanking and clanging sounds as you drive.. :D did they show you proof of your changed components or they just told you they did..?
remember, low boost is keeping a light right foot, not just pressing the low boost button and flooring it.. :)

akyakapotter

Member +
there was no proof it was changed just a bit anoying it having faults and only had it for 2 days lol so take it easy going down there i can do that i think :D i do love the car though glad it has warranty for 3months as for the fuel defender thing i dont no if it has on all i know of it having is the turbo timer and the exhaust

dark_knight

Member +
@HYBRID: i was hesitant giving advice and recommendations since the car's too young in his care and he may not know much about it. best bet - since it's still under warranty - is to take it back to the garage and have them sort it. be there if you can and be as inquisitive as you can, without being an a55.. :) hehehe

@akyakapotter: how mechanically savvy are you..? :) are you ready and willing to get your hands dirty..? got tools..? at least you came to the right place for advice and recommendations.. :D

akyakapotter

Member +
yes mate im no newbie when it comes to cars was in the trade for 4 years just new to the turbo world first turbo :D im staying down the garage to make sure its sorted im likeing the site already so ready and willing to help thanks guys :D

dark_knight

Member +
@akyakapotter: alright then mate. good on you! turbo's are not much different as the basic engine principles still apply. the main areas that get guys in the face are:
- turbo seals (leaky ones thus you burn a lot of oil)
- faulty turbos, thus boost loss (cracked wastegates etc)
- fishy actuators, thus inability to hold boost
- OVERHEATING! :(
- boost spikes & boost creep
- fuel cut due to several reasons, one of which is overboosting
- torque steer (coz of the mad power going to the driven wheels)
- handling problems due to not being used to the instantaneous power at your right foot :p
- among several others..:)

with time though, you'll get to learn the car and manage its' handling characteristics

akyakapotter

Member +
Hi guys just thought I'd let you no I had the car looked at to day was put on a rolling road and was boosting at 1.2 bar and 158bhp had a restricter put in the turbo inlet pipe to bring it down to 0.8 bar now running at 147bhp the guys at the garage think it has an aftermarket ecu looks like I'm investing I'm a fcd and fuel pressure regulator so I can run it at 1.2 bar gain :) p.s thanks for the advice guys

corofin12345

Member +
Hi guys just thought I'd let you no I had the car looked at to day was put on a rolling road and was boosting at 1.2 bar and 158bhp had a restricter put in the turbo inlet pipe to bring it down to 0.8 bar now running at 147bhp the guys at the garage think it has an aftermarket ecu looks like I'm investing I'm a fcd and fuel pressure regulator so I can run it at 1.2 bar gain :) p.s thanks for the advice guys

was that reading at the wheels or fly? im confused to what ya mean by a restriction on the turbo inlet to bring it down to .8? another thing is, if its running an after maket ecu like blitz/sard/mines/jam etc you "do not" need a fcd or fpr to run at 1bar and that brings me to the next question... is the engine fully forged? if not, i wouldnt be running over a bar of boost without knowing how healty your engine is.. do a compression test on to see what readings you get.. i also prsume you have a aftermaket mani/decat/exhaust to run at that boost?

check the ecu first to see what written on it.. its just behind glove box

Last edited:

dark_knight

Member +
@corofin12345: i would imagine he meant that his intake pipe (either at the filter or turbo) is baffled so to speak thus limiting the total air volume that can flow past. am i right akyakapotter..?

corofin12345

Member +
@corofin12345: i would imagine he meant that his intake pipe (either at the filter or turbo) is baffled so to speak thus limiting the total air volume that can flow past. am i right akyakapotter..?

restricting the inlet in any shape or form will not lower or up the boost.. its the actuator (if adjustable) that controlls boost..

dark_knight

Member +
@corofin12345: i concur fully on the actuator/wastegate being the primary boost control. BUT. again, the turbo is in essence, an air pump. so. basing this on the pumping cycle/principle, it (turbo) will essentially not be able to pump/compress what it doesn't have (due to the inlet restriction). if you have an air-tight baffle, that will not allow any air leakage, you can in theory, reduce the charge (boost) the turbo gives.
do we agree at least to that point..? :)

same way an engine creates more power when boosted, because boosting increased the volumetric amount of air in the combustion chamber at ignition time, take away or reduce the amount of air (oxygen) and your power drops proportionately.

akyakapotter

Member +
The guy in the tuning garage told me he had put a jet from a carb in a pipe going to the turbo restricting how much boost can get through and with the engine I'm not sure as it's a jap import but the guys defo said it's had work I'll put up the dyno sheet of after he lowered the boost to 0.8 :)

corofin12345

Member +
nope.. lol.. :p what ever the boost is set to is what the car will boost at.. if just say i have a relocated filter and im set to 1bar and i decide to to put back on the efi pipe for some reason, the car will still boost at 1bar but it will feel restraint which is not good.. it can effect fueling and may throw up a code or even bog down... i had a problem lately as i got myself a blitz access ecu and set my actuator to 1bar.. the car was bogging down badly.. my filter was too restrictive so i put on a less restrictive filter and the engine is breathing nicely now... my boost gauge didnt change at all... on the other hand, all our cars have different setups so its impossible to tell whats actually going on untill we hear from the horses mouth :)

corofin12345

Member +
The guy in the tuning garage told me he had put a jet from a carb in a pipe going to the turbo restricting how much boost can get through and with the engine I'm not sure as it's a jap import but the guys defo said it's had work I'll put up the dyno sheet of after he lowered the boost to 0.8 :)

could you get up pics of your engine bay :)

akyakapotter

Member +
IMG_04281.jpg

after restricter put in
IMG_04261.jpg