Engine Problem - Second Cylinder Overfueling?

TO82

Member +
Hi guys, well i had a bit of a missfire today so pulled the plugs out and the plug from the second cylinder (From the left) was really black and sooty unlike the other three which were nice and golden brown.

Now i changed the Distributor, rotor arm, swaped plugs between cylinders, and plug leads, and the second cylinder plug was always really fouled every time i took it for a drive and pulled them out again.

Now i thought it may be a problem with he injector overfueling which i have now changed, which made it slightly beter but still alot darker than the other plugs.

So any one got any ideas or advice please let me know :)

Last edited:

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Would have thought it was a faulty injector, it'll take the plug a while to clean up though if you have replaced the injector.

Fatman

Member +
Sounds like stuck injector for sure, you've already done all the diagnosis yourself. Replace it ASAP as if it's well and truely stuck open you'll A) be wasting a shitload of fuel and B) having near continous bore-wash in the cylinder

TO82

Member +
Sounds like stuck injector for sure, you've already done all the diagnosis yourself. Replace it ASAP as if it's well and truely stuck open you'll A) be wasting a shitload of fuel and B) having near continous bore-wash in the cylinder

Ive already swapped the injector so hopefully it will sort its self out, i will check the plugs again after ive been for a drive today and post the outcome :)

weeJohn

Lifer
A low compression reading in that cylinder and poor burn could point to a sticking valve, worn or broken ring or cracked piston.

Put the injector you took out of cylinder 2 into another cylinder and see what it does in there, then you will know if its faulty or not.

Fatman

Member +
A low compression reading in that cylinder and poor burn could point to a sticking valve, worn or broken ring or cracked piston.

Put the injector you took out of cylinder 2 into another cylinder and see what it does in there, then you will know if its faulty or not.

Possible but unlikely I would think, a 10psi variation is significant but not serious. If swapping the injector resolves the issue, retest the compression and report back, wouldn't surprise me if it largely resolves itself.

just a little caution i want to add

IF it turns out u had a stuck/malfunctioning injector in that cylinder, you may also want to check your oil for fuel.......it might be best to change it to protect your engine:cool:

TO82

Member +
Update

So ive just pulled the plugs again to see if swaping the injector has made any difference, and it hasnt, heres a pic of the first and second cylinder plugs side by side, the one on the left is the same as the 3rd and 4th cylinder plugs.

Photo-0072.jpg

What do you think could be the cause?

shane_o

Fresh Recruit
my one was lower on cylinder 2, mine was always like yours is doing now but evetually the head gasket went btween the cylinder and water jacket on the front...
how does it drive?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Update

So ive just pulled the plugs again to see if swaping the injector has made any difference, and it hasnt, heres a pic of the first and second cylinder plugs side by side, the one on the left is the same as the 3rd and 4th cylinder plugs.

Photo-0072.jpg

What do you think could be the cause?

if injectors where changed then id thik its something spark realated.. weak spark.

dissy / high tension lead.

TO82

Member +
if injectors where changed then id thik its something spark realated.. weak spark.

dissy / high tension lead.

But i swapped the plug lead from first and second over to see if it was the lead and it had the same outcome i have 8.8mm leads , have also changed the dissy and rotor :confused: