Engine VS Power choice

TheStarletGT

Member +
For a street car, what would be the best option overall.

Small 4efte engine with bolt ons to make big boost, or a big heavy donk like a 3SGTE with minimal mods to do same.

3SGTE = Heavy, but its 2 litres. And should go very fast.

I dont know which to choose. Cos there would have to be alot of stress on a 1.3 litre running like 20psi to make power, but with a 3SGTE, less boost would equal the power of a 4efte etc.

Discuss. I want all your views.

TheStarletGT

Member +
Im a blink away from buying a Caldina front cut. Im just highly motivated in a 3SGTE conversion. Yeah i know, millions and millions of people say that it will cost thousands and thousands. Well it wont if your doing it personally and not a car workshop that charge you rip off prices. Making mounts is not out of my league.

This is my proposed plan > Buy the front cut, keep the engine standard, use the automatic gearbox that comes with it, use its factory wiring loom and ecu, thats about it. Obviously making engine/trans mounts were needed, and exhuast ystem, cooling system etc.

How would my GT perform on 12 psi 3SGTE power, thats what i want to know. Is it worth it, its heavy yes, but wouldnt the starlet still be a heaps good power to weight ratio.

Last edited:

chickenn

Member +
I personally wouldn't bother 4 a daily drive but end of the day its up 2 u mate. Just think it a lot of work 2 run pretty much standard

weeJohn

Lifer
Im a blink away from buying a Caldina front cut. Im just highly motivated in a 3SGTE conversion. Yeah i know, millions and millions of people say that it will cost thousands and thousands. Well it wont if your doing it personally and not a car workshop that charge you rip off prices. Making mounts is not out of my league.

This is my proposed plan > Buy the front cut, keep the engine standard, use the automatic gearbox that comes with it, use its factory wiring loom and ecu, thats about it. Obviously making engine/trans mounts were needed, and exhuast ystem, cooling system etc.

How would my GT perform on 12 psi 3SGTE power, thats what i want to know. Is it worth it, its heavy yes, but wouldnt the starlet still be a heaps good power to weight ratio.

2 clear problems I can see for you, Caldinas are 4WD so there is a transfer box to consider. The box is made to use this so it may not be right without the transfer box on it.

The Caldina auto box has manual controls on the Caldina steering wheel as well, you will have to adapt a lot of the loom to get that working. Personally I would consider the manual Caldina engine and a 3SGTE manual box from an MR2 or the like, you still get the higher compression and coil pack ignition but less hassle with the gearbox.

steveatyork

Member +
i say do it:)
just think of all the tourqe,also the standard power is what 220bhp and it has huge potential,also i cant imagine the weight been that much of an issue,theres a fair few r5gtt on rtoc with clio engine conversions and they dont seem to complain,theres also a vw 1.8t engined r5(280bhp) and that thing is very rapid around a track,theres a clip on youtube of it leaveing megane rs,s for dust

starlet + 3sgte = ftw

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
dude a few months ago you where saying big engines are shit, cos you went past a celica gt four and your starlet is supermega fast.