EP85/EP95 diff

TurboTD04

Member +
Hello there im working on a project atm that involves a starlet engine but in a classic mini and in the process of trying to source the gearbox/transfer box off an ep85 or 95 but thats a separate problem.

My question is instead of getting a rear diff imported over is there any other more common cars with the same diff ratio? i know the rear diff ratio is 2.277:1.

Thanks

dac69er

Super Moderator
To give you a better suspension setup I would look at an mx5 diff. You can have independant rear suspension then

dac69er

Super Moderator
very few people have done much with ep85/95s so very few people have modded the drivetrain from standard.

if you are solely using it for RWD only, then you will be fine with an mx5 diff. as the diff uses separate driveshafts you can make the driveshafts different lengths to suit the car you are fitting it too rather than using a fixed rear axle as per the ep85/95

weeJohn

Lifer
There are no other Toyota diffs that match the EP85/95 transfer box, I have looked into this heavily for a few years to try and get an easy LSD option for my EP85.

It you are wanting a 4WD system, you will need to match the transfer box with the rear diff, as any differences in ratios will result in transmission wind up and destruction of the gears in some way. The EP85/95 is a live rear axle, so it may well need a lot of modifications to fit another chassis.

If you are looking at a RWD project you might well consider mounting the engine longitudinally anyway, as the 4EFTE with a transfer box mounted would probably be as wide as it long. Some kit cars have used 4EFTE motors and coupled them to a MX5 gearbox and diff, by using an adaptor plate to join the 2 and the clutch`s share the same spline count.

daniel_g

Member +
Hi John, what do you think about the AE86 Zenki rear diff ? Kaaz do a LSD for them, the DAT1630.

Also do you know what series the rear diff is on 4paws ?