External Wastegate? Do you need a screamer?

George611

Member +
I thought id ask since i dont know too much about external wastegates. So do you have to have a screamer when you have a external wastegate?... Main thing is i dont like BOV annoys me i prefer wastegate chatter.

If you could enlighten me then id be greatful...
Cheers chaps!

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
yes in a way mate, but to anwer what u need, am i right in thinking u want external withot screamer???

if so then u weld screamer into exhaust and in theory acts like internal wastegate, i explain it better when u see me.

No, you don't HAVE TO have a screamer pipe but if there is no pipe attached to the wastegate then you will have exhaust gases venting directly out of it. You can pipe it into the exhaust if you like but it will quieten the sound

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
yes in a way mate, but to anwer what u need, am i right in thinking u want external withot screamer???

if so then u weld screamer into exhaust and in theory acts like internal wastegate, i explain it better when u see me.

Well in theory they work in the same way all the time, they bith just divert gases away from the turbine. Yes you can hook the dump pipe back up to the exhaust, but I'd advise putting a little flexi in there or it'll most likely crack.

George611

Member +
Yeah i want external without screamer dont fancy all that noise all the time would prefer exhaust tone lol..Ive seen a couple of kits with return pipes going back into the exhaust but not sure whats what...

Wastegate chatter isn't due to an external wastegate mate...

Screw in the inlet vaccum pipe? thats the only thing i can think of if not. as i say not really too clued up on it :). Really dont wanna run a dump valve does my nut in.

J25GTi

Lifer
Just disconnect the vac pipe from the inlet mani to the dump valve and put a bolt in the end. Instant chatter...

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Just disconnect the vac pipe from the inlet mani to the dump valve and put a bolt in the end. Instant chatter...

Instant boost leak more like! The boost will overpower the spring and open the piston

its confusing because they call it wastegate chatter but its actually compressor surge is the correct name for it. like someone said if you don't run a BOV you get this noise. it also puts huge amounts of strain on the turbocharger and will eventually lead to premature failure.

a screamer pipe is just a slang name for a vent to atmosphere wastegate where the wastegate just dumps its gases to the air, and hense the loud noise. where you can normally reroute them back into the exhaust system to be silienced down with the rest of the engine noise.

screamer pipe does give a little better boost control if the wastegate is on the limit of sizing as there is a greater pressure differential accross the valve.

Tim :)

George611

Member +
mr2turbored Rep added! very helpful!!

I always thought that a screw in the inlet vac pipe would cause the turbo to eventually give up, i ran it on mine for a while the noise was totally different and i wasnt boosting to full boost! 8psi n that was my lot so wasnt sure if running an external was to compensate no dump valve.

you can go external wastegate and have it plumbed back into the exhaust, in this setup you wouldn't even know its there sound wise.

if you don't want the BOV sound get a recirc fitting or just reuse the standard one. this will keep it quiet.

because metal expands and contracts with heat.

there is a huge temperature difference between the feed pipe from the manifold to the wastegate and the dump tube from the wastegate. one will grow considerably more than the other. plus you then solid mount it to the downpipe which again will be expanding and contracting at a different rate.

then couple the fact that stainless gets brittle with heat, and factor in the shock movement from the engine.

when i've build turbocharger kits for the 3sgte's i specalise in. the dump tube has a flexy unit on it, but also so does the downpipe after the 2 join to the rest of the exhaust system. This is ontop of the stock flexy that is present futher down the line. over 100 kits produced never a cracked part or downpipe :)

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
because metal expands and contracts with heat.

there is a huge temperature difference between the feed pipe from the manifold to the wastegate and the dump tube from the wastegate. one will grow considerably more than the other. plus you then solid mount it to the downpipe which again will be expanding and contracting at a different rate.

then couple the fact that stainless gets brittle with heat, and factor in the shock movement from the engine.

when i've build turbocharger kits for the 3sgte's i specalise in. the dump tube has a flexy unit on it, but also so does the downpipe after the 2 join to the rest of the exhaust system. This is ontop of the stock flexy that is present futher down the line. over 100 kits produced never a cracked part or downpipe :)

didint think aboiut the expanding of metal... reped for that!

no worries.

its interesting actually, done some RX7 stuff in the past and they have the most exhaust energy to expand the metal and on full throttle with a big single turbo and tubular manifold you can see the turbo actually grow away from the engine by about 1/2"

George611

Member +
Ive seen a k26 kit with a flexi on the pipe going from wastegate to downpipe so i can defo see your point, likewise didnt think about the expanding metal rep added from me too!, looks like im gonna run a screamer till it windes me up then il see what i fancy from there. cheers guys!!!!!

i believe the blitz K24/26 turbocharger kits came with the wastegate venting into the downpipe as standard.

i have a K2-220 kit which is basically the same and its come in this configuration