Filter Relocation / Creep

biscuit

Member +
I am wondering there seems to be so many people suffering from boost creep when fitting relocated filters (behind the grill > CT9 turbo). The W/G has been ported & this is a far better condition turbo than the one I had before when last trying the relocation. This time might be different (different turbo with better condition W/G + ported).

I wonder though if I do get some creep, what’s the best way to restrict the inlet when using a relocated filter? Baring in mind this isn’t an APEXI filter, so I can’t use a restrictor plate between the filter>inlet.

I guess a slightly restricted relocated filter has got to be better than the EFI pipe (getting super heated by the manifold) as the relocated filter will flow cold air from the front of the car as opposed to sucking warm/hot air from the engine bay + the EFI pipe is restrictive anyway.

Any ideas?

biscuit

Member +
Do you think it might have been caused on the previous turbo by having a quite large cracks in the wastegate? The previous turbo had 1.5cm x 3-4mm cracks in the wastegate so I guess the boost control would have been effected by this.

New turbo doesn’t have any cracks and the W/G was ported before fitting. Saying that both mentioned turbo’s are CT9b’s, a friend of mine has an EP91 with CT9a and that doesn’t creep with mesh and nothing else…?

biscuit

Member +
What would you suggest? It’s a GREEN filter, so maybe I could wrap some duct tape around it and secure it with cable ties, sounds like a pikey effort lol

Just wrap around layer at a time and run the car and see how it goes, trial and error I think if it does.

AdamB

Member +
Yeah you do have to do a bit of a pikey job on it :haha:
You could wrap some tape round it, it's just a case of trying what works without any creep. Think someone mentioned before putting a pair of tights over the filter.