Finally took the car to Santa Pod!

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
As the title says, me and the brother headed over to the Pod late Friday night got the ferry and drove down to the track all night, arrived at 7am, slept for 20 mins and then went to the gates to get in, too excited to sleep!

We had arranged to meet up with Gaz on the day for moral support and if the worst was to happen he had kindly offered a place for the car to stay until it was recovered, which I'm very grateful for so thanks lad!

Anyway, got the fuel in her, tyres on her, suspension set, tyre pressures set and then we where ready to take on the world!!!

Got her into the wetbox and did a big burnout, lined up on the line, nice revs lights go green and bam off we go, or not as it would appear lol. Broken drive shaft first run! ET - not set Speed 54mph

Brought her back to the pits and swapped out the shaft. Back onto the start line, this time in order to get a time I sat at idle and drove off calm as ya like, second gear half throttle nice, the 3rd and 4th I let her at it. ET 14secs speed 122mph

Another run much like the last only I give it some in second gear about a bar of boost, going into third a huge jeerk out of the car, lost all power then bang it came back to life, like a missfire but different, like someone turned off the engine, continued on anyway ET 13.5 speed 123mph

Another run kind of like the last 2 but give it some stick of the line but alot of clutch slip to protect the drive components, this time at the end of third gear the engine cut out, pulled 4th gear and planted it and nothing so freewheeled on up the strip ET 13.2 speed 90mph

Turns out the map sensor wires where caught on part of the throttle body mechanisim and it nipped through the wired shorting out the sensor and destroying it. So after some bodging and ECU settings changed we ran off the internal sensor but this limited the car to 1.5bar max but we thought lets go for it anyway.

Final run I decided a normal launch caused wheel hop so I'd go mega aggresive and hope to spin through it, absolutly massive burnout, up to the line 7500-8000rpm launch and the tyres go bounce bounce bounce and bang outter CV joint shredded ET none Speed 50mph

Replaced the CV and drove her home again, if I'd took her on the traler I would have give it one final go but was running low on spares.

All in all I broke one Shaft, one inner CV one outter CV and a map sensor. It was a great weekend and a great experience but I'll not let the track beat me, few upgrades and suspension tweeks to eliminate the wheel hop and I'll be back in March/April to give it another blast.

If the trip taught me one thing it's that I need a VW Golf! My car from my door and back again £120 fuel, the brothers Golf from his door and back again £35!!!!

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
All the best with it buddy, looking forward to seeing what this EP can perform like when its sorted :)

Cheers

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments Ltd

weeJohn

Lifer
£35 in fuel, was he pushing it lol?

Sorry to hear you didnt even get 1 decent run from it, the track there is a lot different from what we run on here.

Next year ;)

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Glad to hear you made to effort to come over here and take the GT on track, but sorry to hear you had a few issues. These cars are always out to test owners patience :p Next time for sure mate, im sure youll put down some mad times no doubt!

Lewis

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Thanks guys for the positive replies.

Don't get me wrong, I had an awsome time over at the Pod, ya don;t just go to these things to put in a fast time, it's all about the road trip and the banter at the track and even the challenge of keeping the car in racing condition. In this particular case there was more time spent under the car than in it lol!

There's nothing I could have changed before hand to have avoided such failures, it was just something I had to go over and try, now that I've seen whats needed and the results I can better plan ahead and have the car setup to go back and put in some times.

@Weejohn aye the damn Golf was doing over 60mpg!!!

Jay

Admin
Got to take the rough with the smooth mate, don't fret though we know there's a golden timeslip waiting at the end of it all somewhere!

Rory

Lifer
From pictures posted its mabey a case of your car being over tyred...? Im just throwing the idea out there as there huge! :)

But it could just be down do wear and tear of old componants. Theres always niggles of a new build.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
My first thought was the tyres are too big, but she was still spinning in 3rd gear at the Pod so I'm not going to down size them, it's the suspension that needs adjusting to take the hop out of her I think and stronger shafts and such to then deal with the extra grip.

The joys of trying to go fast lol.

Rory

Lifer
Thats cool Spuddy :)

If your getting wheel hop your suspension and pressure needs looking at. Ive snapped a shaft due to wheel hop before and it was due to old perished bushes and suspension setup.
IMO if i were in your shoes, id look at making the front end solid (bush wise) and letting the tyre and suspension do the rest of the work. Obviously is a case of finding the right setup to work well.

Rome wasnt built in a day! :haha:

Either way i look forward to next year!

gv1.3

Admin
great to see you taking her over beyond for a run. Its all a learning experience and you will no doubt have learned a lot from last weekend and can address areas of concern and emerge with a stronger machine soon.

Keep us updated, I cant wait to see what your car will achieve when all is 100%

_GAZ_EP85_

Member +
good stuff spuddy, good meeting ya again, sure ya got a few thing's to buy and to get sorted before coming back over but she was moving in 3rd and 4th gear alright!!!!! and ya got maybe 100 more to come!!! lol

Paul_JJ

Member +
Keep it going Spuddy, come over for a cup of tea and a chat next time you at Santa. Would love to see your car as well -)

alfradio

Member +
Not that I know what's goin' on or anything but an LSD might help a wee bit?

Not a sermon... just a thought!

alf :homer:

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.

There's an LSD in there, car has fairly much everything to be honest, getting a couple of wee bits a pieces done then I'll take it back.

rosso321

Member +
Thanks guys for the positive replies.

Don't get me wrong, I had an awsome time over at the Pod, ya don;t just go to these things to put in a fast time, it's all about the road trip and the banter at the track and even the challenge of keeping the car in racing condition. In this particular case there was more time spent under the car than in it lol!

There's nothing I could have changed before hand to have avoided such failures, it was just something I had to go over and try, now that I've seen whats needed and the results I can better plan ahead and have the car setup to go back and put in some times.

@Weejohn aye the damn Golf was doing over 60mpg!!!

What mark golf is that I persume 1.9 or 2.0 tdi??

Sparky

Member +

With over 500hp I am pretty sure he would of though about a diff along time ago :haha:

Any vids of said runs? :)

Just wanna hear the thing more than anything :)

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
was you using the old laughing gas? what was the end power she made?

Nah no gas ran in her yet, the clutch starts to complain when its used lol. 520hp was made at 2.65bar though the clutch slipped, a more reliable 517hp at 2.4bar, changing the clutch though to a twinplate setup then we will run the gas and get the full figure.

Don't think there are any videos of the runs, I'll ask Gaz if he took any but they'll be quite unspectacular with things breaking lol.