Finx cracks into the 12's with stock turbo/stock interals! UPDATE: Now 12.74!

Fatman

Member +
Now equipped with a 2.5-3inch side exit exhaust and some 16kg/mm rear springs to control squat the EP71 Turbo S set a new PB with a 13.01 @ 103mph at the 4 and Rotary Nationals 29th Jan. So close!

We headed back to strip yesterday having built some additional circuitry for ECU controlled launch control and boost control, removed a small amount of additional weight and double checked everything.

After several runs setting up the launch control Finx ran a 12.98 @ 103mph, 1.88 60' with street legal hoosier DOT rated drag radials. He immediately backed it up going 12.95 @ 103mph!

Engine is a stock standard high compression 5E-FHE with a CT9b from a Glanza running 0.9 bar of boost.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PUFExSUSxDU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Excuse the sound being out of sync, I'll try to get the original of this and correct it. With some additional track time this setup will go quicker.

Last edited:

wickedep

Trader
nice fatman!! what was the size of the hoosier drag radials mate? have you used any other drag radials to which you can compare it to? i've a set comming my way..so i am a little curious. good job again on the 1/4 mile run..

Fatman

Member +
Hoosier 225/50/15 DOT rated drag radials, these are the 'street legal' option - not a full slick by any means.

They seem to work very well with big burnouts! If you store them correctly they last very well. The particular pair that ran the 12 second passes have done 150+ passes and are very near the end of their life but obviously aren't down on grip. Highly recommended.

In an ideal world you would run a taller sidewall proper slick, however those aren't class legal in NZ.

Jay

Admin
That got off the line pretty sharply for all the weight of it. Very impressive indeed.

Proof that old Starlets don't die, they just get faster!

Ben89

Lifer
That's a fantastic result, shows with some hard work and plenty of hours some seriously good times can be achieved. Well done bro!

finx

Member +
Cheers guys
Its been a good hard few hard years in the making but we got there. Big thanks to Fatman for his help on the late nights before racing making last min mods in the chase for thousandths of a second.

Watch this space for more to come in the near future :cool:

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
That got off the line pretty sharply for all the weight of it. Very impressive indeed.

Proof that old Starlets don't die, they just get faster!

Ditto!!

thats a fantastic run for those specs!!

well done indeed :D

kon

finx

Member +
cheers Kon

Going to attempt to take the car out again this coming Friday night if i get time during the week to change a few things and check everything over just to have one more stab at getting a quicker ET out of the set up as is before putting a Hybrid turbo (that has been gathering dust for two years) and a few other bits on and then retune time.

Traditionally the night meetings dont provide bugger all grip so guess we will see how things go. Flames from the side pipe on launch control in the dark could make for some good photographs thou !

Ryan

weeJohn

Lifer
I used to have a 71S that looked exactly like that, I wish I had it now, even if it was only stock and not like yours.

Great time for that set up, it would be good to see what times you get with a set of fresh tyres!

finx

Member +
Thanks man.
Further improvements on that time to come in the next month all going to plan.

wickedep

Trader
how much heat do you need to put into the hoosiers mate? some drag radials like BFG's dont need a massive burnout..

finx

Member +
Thanks for the feedback :)

Not to sure exactly what temperature they need to be. I usually just hold the car in second with the hand brake on until the tyres start to bite then release the brake and let it roll forwards.
If you hang on too long thats when you get driveline breakages. CV's mainly when the tyre grips and its speed slows down at a vast rate, compared to the axle/drive-train/engine speed which remains higher for a short period of time.
Generally im Only really trying to clean the dirt off and get some some fresh rubber showing. I havnt tried an inferred thermometer to see what the actual tyre temps are but thats the best method i have found and i Usually run the tyres at about 12psi which seems to be the sweet spot with our climate anyway.
The pair of Hossiers im running are 225/50/15 DOT rated so still a street tyre and are not full slicks. they are very near the end of their life thou and would be about 3-4 years old but have been kept in dry cool storage out of direct light whist not being used. Its a strange phenomenon but they are actually getting better the older they get.

EDIT some of that is repeating what my friend fatman has said i just realized.

Cheers
Ryan

Last edited:

finx

Member +
Also just an update for those who may be interested,
Took the car again last Friday night. Ran a 13.0@105mph with a 2.0 60ft without the aid of launch control or anti lagg.
The Track was quite slippery, the car has the potential to go faster in this guise but that will be the last meeting for the stock ct9 now the 12s pass's have been acheived

Modifications to come before the next Meeting on the 21st of March include a new cylinder head, custom hybrid turbo and a re tune.

Ryan