Fluctuating temperature ???

Gtsmurf

Member +
My temperature needle keeps fluctuating, sometimes way below cold any time of the day but it always remains below the half way mark, last time I had this problem I got my radiator clean and it was ok till now and that was like 2 1/2 months ago.

What could be the cause??

The radiator always have in coolant and there are no signs of overheating etc.

smythy75

Member +
My temperature needle keeps fluctuating, sometimes way below cold any time of the day but it always remains below the half way mark, last time I had this problem I got my radiator clean and it was ok till now and that was like 2 1/2 months ago.

What could be the cause??

The radiator always have in coolant and there are no signs of overheating etc.

could be temp sensors or thermostat etc etc

Gtsmurf

Member +
Thanks Jay but the thermostat was replaced when I did an engine rebuild and that was like in October, I am using a TRD one as well so I am assuming it maybe another issue...got me clueless???

Jay

Admin
Remove and test that the thermostat is operating correctly using a bucket of boiling water - you should see the thermostat open.

Also remove the coolant sensors and clean them of any corrosion/scum that may be affecting their readings. Also have a look at the connections in case a wire is loose.

Gtsmurf

Member +
Remove and test that the thermostat is operating correctly using a bucket of boiling water - you should see the thermostat open.

Also remove the coolant sensors and clean them of any corrosion/scum that may be affecting their readings. Also have a look at the connections in case a wire is loose.

Thanks Jay, will give it a test this week and check the other stuff.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
air filter hanging off wont make the coolant temp rise and fall,

sounds like a dodgy coolant temperature sensor to me, does it rise and fall quite rapidly, or isit just sometimes not working etc