forged 5e setup. your opinions and suggestions plz

rage

Lifer
hi all.

i'm currentry in the collection phase for my forged 5e build.

would like to have your opinions on the setup i have in mind and any sugestions or tips you might have.

i have a spare 4efte engine for parts.

5e bottom end with good crank
5e scat rods
5efhe cams
Gt2560r turbo
wepr mani + downpipe externally gated
arp headbolts
460cc injectors
3 puck trd clutch (will this suffice around 300bhp?)
microtech lt8 standalone

the questions i have:

pistons, what will you guys suggest? wiseco? wossner? something else? and why? :)

what headgasket? athena 1.2mm? if yes, why? :)

any need for a custom intake or will stock do the job?
any need to switch to individual coils?

any other thoughts on the setup?

5e colin

Member +
i would fit bigger headgasket than 1.2 and use wiseco pistons on the scats

how much boost do u want to run i would get bigger injectors on the 5e

elison

Member +
pistons, what will you guys suggest? wiseco? wossner? something else? and why?
-Using wossner with no problems on my forged 4e with no problems for 1 year already.

what headgasket? athena 1.2mm? if yes, why?
-Athena is a choice of many. Many guys running them with bigger power than 300bhp. The thickness all depends on the c/r you want to achieve. Im running a 1mm with wossner 6cc dished pistons. c/r is circa to stock and drive-ability is pretty much as the stock engine. c/r is a little lower though.

any need for a custom intake or will stock do the job?
-Stock intake can handle 300bhp with no problem. It becomes a restriction when your going to run big boost to achieve big number.

any need to switch to individual coils?
-No need to. Stock ignition would also be able to produce 300bhp with no hazzle. Make sure your dizzy cap and rotor and plug wires are in good condition than you wouldn't have a headache.

any other thoughts on the setup?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
What octaine is your fuel in Holland?

Pistons Weisco -10cc

Headgasket 0.6mm TRD

Ignition Standard is fine up to 1.6-1.7bar on TD05s approx. 360hp or more is when it breaks down, that assumes on u having good plugs and HT leads.

Your intake is fine, standard is good to about 450hp, even beyond but there are worth while gains after that.

That clutch will be grand.

I'm not familiar with that turbo in terms of lag but if it likes to rev get some valve springs in there and bump it on up to 8200-8500rpm

Nitrous???

rage

Lifer
from what i've read the lag should be a little more than a td04l

found a station that sells gulf challenger high octane fuel :) wich is ron100 ;)
since i found that gas station the car never drove on anything else

good to know the stock ignition will be ok along with the stock inlet.

a thinner headgasket because of the -10cc pistons?

and no NOS :)

yet...

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Yes the 0.6mm HG helps keep a reasonable comp ratio, 8.5:1 or even 9.0:1 on 100ron fuel.

Now I see you have much better fuel than I have in N.Ireland (97ron) is our best I'd nearly suggest flat top pistons but theres one thing in the back of my mind. I remember Dave Burwash saying the flat tops with its ignition pattern caused some sort of Head gasket damage but its not something I have experience with personally.

With your build and that fuel defo no less than 8.5:1 but if it was me I'd run 9.0:1 and it would be sweet. Even off boost.

babu_rashu

Member +
I m planing for 5e too, I m going for weisco piston and Athena 1mmHEad gasket, what flywheel r u planing to use? If possible buy some valve springs..

rage

Lifer
thx for the info spuddy :)
i'll stick with the regular -10mm dished and see if i can find a 0.6 headgasket. very curious how the car will drive after all of this is completed. only ever drove a stock ct9 :D

not too sure about upping the rev limit. i've seen my fair share of high rev engine blowups. would rather stay a bit on the "safe" side of things

currentrly have a stock 5e flywheel. might see if i can get a lightweight, might not. dunno yet

rwdrev

Member +
i am also stuck for what spec to go with the rest of my 5e build, i got

74.5mm Ross Flat top pistons, rings, pins
scat rods/arp bolts
arp main cap bolts
ACL -0.25 shells
Brand new oil pump
orc clutch re drilled to suit 5e crank
de-burred crank-balanced and reground
for now standard complete 4efte head (possibly a re-worked head)
standard inlet
DIY top mount exhaust mani
GT2871r Garrett turbo
Tial 38mm ewg
walbro 255 pump
fmic
2.5" (decat) exhaust
Emanage ultimate piggy back
also other mods

but dont know what injectors or head gasket to use. tho i am thinking on taking the combustion chamber out to 45cc's on a worked head, but not cam'd

weeJohn

Lifer
I have 6cc dished Wossners, 1.2 head gasket and after getting the deck and head skimmed the engine becomes interference with 5efhe cams. I calculated the CR to 8.55:1 with that set up, measuring the volume of the head and block with gasket.

rage

Lifer
but it did have enough clearance to run correct? i need atleast 1mm space between the valve and piston.

think i'll strip down the spare engine that i have and check the clearances without a headgasket. if that is enogh then i can skim the head and block, fit the 0.3mm gasket and it should be ok

weeJohn

Lifer
No problem with clearance when the timing belt is on, but when the belt is off and a valve is down, the piston will hit the valve.