Formula one - the killer years - anyone seen it?

wull

Fresh Recruit
i'll get that watched the night,sat and watched the formula 1 race on iplayer last night,the whole programme was 3hrs :(

Dave.

Member +
Gutted guys - UK only if it's on iPlayer :(

Worth watching though - it's a good mix of interesting and heartbreaking

Dave

Dave.

Member +
Yea man - the last 5 minutes show just how brutal it used to be, drivers rating the race more than that poor chaps life :(

Awesome to see how it evolved and how a Scotsman pushed so hard to help make it what it is today!

Dave

wull

Fresh Recruit
just finished watching this,awesome.its really sad with how it use to be and thankfully safety has came along leaps and bounds,sadly like most things in life you only learn to make it better because of the devastation and disaster that happens.what springs to mind the most is aviation,its so much more safe now because of all the previous accidents that have happened and you move on from there making it safer.

its amazing how much they got away with and imagine if the drivers hadn't stood up and made their voices heard.........and that last scene is so sad,very upsetting:(

sx_turbo

Lifer
see it last week,

i found it truly astounding, the skilz the drivers had in them days was mind boggling, todays drivers dont even know they were born

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Just about to watch it, i know motorsport is made much safer these days obviously but i also think health and safety have ruined the sport, especially with Formula 1.

AdamB

Member +
Great video!
The bit at the end with George Purley, just amazing, shows real heart.
And thank god for Jackie Stewart, if it wasn't for him standing up for the drivers, I wonder how long it would have taken for regulations to come into affect. Not just for Formula one, but all forms of motorsport.

wull

Fresh Recruit
not so much health and safety but the electronics have made it so much safer.i remember casey stoner(moto gp) saying that he doesn't mind there being so many electronics because it reduces the amount of crashes and ultimately makes it much more safe than it use to be.

downside is how exciting the racing is,in formula 1 there are much less overtaking than there use to be and in a way less driver input than yesteryear.i love watching f1 from the late 80's and early 90's when it was much more raw and driver ability with the likes of ayrton senna etc.same goes for the moto gp when you had the gp500 bikes that were wild and hard to ride,but the likes of mick doohan who could handle them and ride them so well spinning the back wheel up exiting almost every corner.

i'm not taking anything away from the current moto gp riders and formula 1 drivers because they are superb,and tbh its probably just as hard having to keep a note of all the electronic settings etc and having to push this button and that button.

Last edited:

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Im just not a personal fan of de-restricting the Forumla 1 cars then the additional of all the regulations changing about a set number of tyres to use on each qualifying period to all these wings etc that there making, i think that side of the sport is being ruined.

Watched that video earlier and it was amazing, it showed true heart and skill. You wonder why nothing was done when drivers felt uneasy about the car then later that raced there was an accident.

Dave.

Member +
Glad you guys have enjoyed it :D

The safety changes are nothing but a good thing - but I agree some of the newer rule changes (tyres, refueling etc) are a bit of a joke!

Dave