Fuel pump connector getting hot

legend009

Member +
Hy guys, iv searched everywhere for a similar issue to mine but havent got any yet. The fuel pump connector thats on the backseat gets hot when the car is switched on. When you follow up the wires going back to the drivers side the wires are cold and so as the fuel relay. Anyone ever experience this issue before? Wire getting hot is blue with white stripes and the whote with black stripe.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Resistance creates heat. Sounds like you have a poor connection if it is only at the plug.

Could also be the pump failing and drawing more current. Or less likely, someone has fitted a bigger pump that draws more current. Probably worth checking the efi fuse hasn't been uprated to hide a fault. It should be 15A

legend009

Member +
Oh yes i do have a dw200. Efi fuse is intact maybe i change it to 30A. I checked the plug and clips on tight even gave it a clean

dac69er

Super Moderator
That is a higher flowing pump. This is likely to have a higher current draw. Although it shouldn't be much different to the normal uprated pumps others use. I've never checked to see if my connector gets hot tbh!!!

Do not change the fuse to a larger one. The fuse is there to protect the cabling and connectors. If you change it to 30A you risk melting something. Or worse, having a car fire. Keep with the standard 15A fuse.

You could replace the connector or remove the connector and solder the wires. I would even consider running new wiring and fitting a new connector with a higher current carrying capacity.

How hot is it actually getting? Are you able to measure the temperature?

Reactions: Jay

legend009

Member +
Havent measured the temp yet. I have swapped the whole fuel pump set from another starlet and the plug still gets hot now in both cars. Band when swapped back to the original cars the other starlets plug is cold

legend009

Member +
So i did some more checking on this and checked on everything, found the negative wire(ground) which is white with black stripe getting hot from the connector. Is it okay if i can add a heavier gauge wire and solder it onto the fuel pump cap that bolts to the frame?

i'd repeat part of dac69er's suggestion...that you thoroughly investigate the wiring and see why its getting hot...it may take a little more time, but trace and test them...then you can satisfactorily resolve the issue

for this problem, it would be wiser to play it safe