Getting A Rattle As Im Driving

Sirius75

Member +
No idea if this is the right place for this but ever since ive had the car. Ive been getting this annoying rattle. I cant hear it when sitting staionary but soon as i start moving i can hear it. Its like a metallic rattle. If i have my drivers side window open i can just about hear it, And when the passenger side window is open I can hear it REALLY badly. Also when driving in encloseed spaces like between cars and stuff like that. Does anyone have any idea what this noise could be? Because i am stumped!

racerboymx

Member +
What condition are your brake pads in...my mate had a similar problem turned out to be his pads rattling in between the disk and the caliper...keep your window open and see if the sound stops when your braking!!

Sirius75

Member +
Its Not The Exhaust Hitting The Chassis.
Cant Be My Brakes As They Are All Brand New.
It Seems As Though If I Stay Under about 10mph it wont do it. Any faster than that and i can hear it :S
How do You tighten the wheel bearings?

churcherj

Member +
It Seems As Though If I Stay Under about 10mph it wont do it. Any faster than that and i can hear it :S

maybe if you post a video or sound clip that would help, a rattle could be anything really! i personally have a slight knock when going slow its my exhaust catching the the rear axel or whatever it is, as my car has been lowered alot. does your car knock in a straight line? any clicking or juddering noises when turning on lock?

Sirius75

Member +
hmmm i'll try over the weekend to get a sound clip/video but im not promising anything. When i got the car i was told the speedo cable needed replacing. Cos like the needle just kept jumping all over the place. And i never got round to putting another one in (good ole sat navs) but i had a thought that could the speedo drive in the gearbox be loose or anything? cos if the speedo cable was broken the needle wouldnt of moved atall would it?

maybe if you post a video or sound clip that would help, a rattle could be anything really! i personally have a slight knock when going slow its my exhaust catching the the rear axel or whatever it is, as my car has been lowered alot. does your car knock in a straight line? any clicking or juddering noises when turning on lock?

churcherj

Member +
hmmm i'll try over the weekend to get a sound clip/video but im not promising anything. When i got the car i was told the speedo cable needed replacing. Cos like the needle just kept jumping all over the place. And i never got round to putting another one in (good ole sat navs) but i had a thought that could the speedo drive in the gearbox be loose or anything? cos if the speedo cable was broken the needle wouldnt of moved atall would it?

probably wouldnt make a knocking noise mate, it depends you may not need a new one, my connection on mine was lose going into the back of the clocks, take out the clocks and its the middle connection like a white colour and check its connected properly (its a bitch too to, you need TINY hands to get your hands behind it, i got my mrs to do mine :haha:) if its connected fine u will need a new one anyway! get them well cheap off ebay. if its knocking loud in a straight line it could well be driveshafts, or maybe clutch, although very unlikely but could be a possibility. as said its near on impossible to tell without hearing it,

Sirius75

Member +
Its Not knocking, its just rattling, only over 10mph. And as i said its more noticable with the passenger side window open. Meaning it could be coming from the gearbox. I dont know how the speedo drives in the gearbox work..... so im not sure if it could be that

probably wouldnt make a knocking noise mate, it depends you may not need a new one, my connection on mine was lose going into the back of the clocks, take out the clocks and its the middle connection like a white colour and check its connected properly (its a bitch too to, you need TINY hands to get your hands behind it, i got my mrs to do mine :haha:) if its connected fine u will need a new one anyway! get them well cheap off ebay. if its knocking loud in a straight line it could well be driveshafts, or maybe clutch, although very unlikely but could be a possibility. as said its near on impossible to tell without hearing it,

churcherj

Member +
Its Not knocking, its just rattling, only over 10mph. And as i said its more noticable with the passenger side window open. Meaning it could be coming from the gearbox. I dont know how the speedo drives in the gearbox work..... so im not sure if it could be that

how bad is the rattle? is it that unbearable lol? have you checked under the bay to see if anything is hanging/lose that could be making the noise? u will probably need to post a video if you can dude, its abit to vague to find a solution over here, its just a guessing game tbh!

SupaStu

Member +
Could be the brake disc cover plate thing, behind the disc sometimes touches the disc causing a wee rattle or scrapey noise. Just bent is back a little if it is touching.

Sirius75

Member +
Noise stays with the clutch in i believe. will double check later. and yes it is unbearable lol. When i drive past people i dont know if its cos there looking at how good my car is, or if its cos there wondering what the hell that rattle is lol

ep71turbo

Member +

Could It Not Be The Turbo Mate? I Had A Similar Problem, Turned Out To Be The Turbo I Was Running The CT12b

Sirius75

Member +
I just wanted to bring this thread back up. Better than creating a new one.
I Never bothered getting a video done cos as i said you can only hear the noise when driving, and that would involve getting someone to hang out the window and record the video for me, but then, you probably wouldnt hear it anyway, due to wind noise. So anyway. today while having a look under the car to have a look and see what could possibly be making the noise. I noticed my passenger side drive shaft cv joint boot has split. Now could something like that cause this annoying rattle im getting?

carrington865

Member +
I just wanted to bring this thread back up. Better than creating a new one.
I Never bothered getting a video done cos as i said you can only hear the noise when driving, and that would involve getting someone to hang out the window and record the video for me, but then, you probably wouldnt hear it anyway, due to wind noise. So anyway. today while having a look under the car to have a look and see what could possibly be making the noise. I noticed my passenger side drive shaft cv joint boot has split. Now could something like that cause this annoying rattle im getting?

possibly. can u see inside the boot? maybe some crap has got in there.

i had a annoying vibrating noise for a while. only did when driving. turned out to be the dipstick holder came loose and was ratteling . worth a quick check. jus give it a wiggle see if there any play in it

sam starlet

Member +
it could be the metal plate between the gear boat is missing bolts and there for rattling. mine is doing the same at the moment.

(metal plate by ther clutch and gear box)

Guye

Lifer
The thing that stumps me is the fact that the rattling gets worse over 10mph. Normally the higher the engine rpm the smoother it gets, so any loose bit bits like heat shields, cover plates etc. would be harder to hear since they wouldn't be vibrating as violently. Could it be something being effecting by the wind as you travel along? A metal "stay" or a splash guard perhaps? Maybe under the wheel arch, behind the front bumper, anything that can be "shaken" by hand and made worse by wind speed?