getting really F***** off now

alexgt

Member +
:mad:Ok cars been losing coolant over time and found that it had been coming out of the overflow on the water bottle, some1 said maybe i over filled it anyway checked this morning and the bottle was empty loads in the rad though went for a gentle drive and the coolant in the bottle rose about half inch, then let it go cold again and again no coolant in bottle.

took for a real thrash up the road did bout 5 miles came back and there is coolant coming out of the overflow again, what is causing this??

please really at my wits end now!!

Dave.

Member +
Have you tried anything to remedy it yet? Might save some duplicate suggestions...

Also, what mods do you have? Any recent work carried out? Anything else engine wise wrong (smokey/burning oil/loosing other fluids?)

Should help narrow it down a bit at least :)

Dave

alexgt

Member +
tried changing thermostat? new rad cap? any white stuff in the oil?

i have had new thermostat and houseing bout month ago the garage have sugested a new rad cap not sure why i am not losing any other fluids no mayo on oil cap no smoke of any kind.

only mods are sus induction kit and baileys bov

Dave.

Member +
lingl9z is exactly right, that's where I would be going with it if I was in your position alex.

Dave

lingl9z

Member +
Apparently its easier to just replace the rad, be good idea to go for a civic one could be a nice little upgrade if it isnt the problem.

rich23silk

Member +
coolant

unscrew the rad cap and run your engine for a bit give it some revs to release any air locks that could be in the system make sure to do this when engine is cold coz i dont want u burning ur self. have u recently emptyed and re filled the cooling system? coz if not bled propally could cause ur prob to happen.
when u give it some revs the coolant and water may spill over and out the rad this is normall what ur doing is releasing excess air.

alexgt

Member +
unscrew the rad cap and run your engine for a bit give it some revs to release any air locks that could be in the system make sure to do this when engine is cold coz i dont want u burning ur self. have u recently emptyed and re filled the cooling system? coz if not bled propally could cause ur prob to happen.
when u give it some revs the coolant and water may spill over and out the rad this is normall what ur doing is releasing excess air.

had it up the garage and this has been done mate anybody have a part number for a new rad cap, guy at the garage got me one from toyota and it didn't fit, he got it using my chasis number so they knew it was for a gt or will i have to get like toms or TRD

lingl9z

Member +
80 delieverd for a civic alloy rad or you can get a second hand standard rad for around 30ish though you cant gaurentee that wont be knackered too! i had/have the same problem, got my hg done but still seems to be doing it so i assum e the rad i got is knackered aswell!.

alexgt

Member +
80 delieverd for a civic alloy rad or you can get a second hand standard rad for around 30ish though you cant gaurentee that wont be knackered too! i had/have the same problem, got my hg done but still seems to be doing it so i assum e the rad i got is knackered aswell!.

Would a pressure test on the cooling system pick up a faulty radiator??

as i have had one done and it came back fine!!

Think yous are jumping to the conclusion that is is the radiator faulty without knowing exactly.

Get the Radiator pressure tested before going out buying a new one.

Also I would try a new thermostat. Even a new thermostat could go faulty or may have damaged during installation:)

Spoonz

Member +
change the rad cap mate it seems that the cap is allowing water into the overflow bottle even wen there isnt alot of pressure in the system. has at 0.9bar of pressure the cap opens and lets water in the overflow bottle get a new cap and see if that works before rushing for a new rad :)