Glanza V Chugging Problem! Help?

Ricky92

Fresh Recruit
Hi all, im new to this forum and thought you guys might be able to help me out on here.

I purchase a 97 starlet glanza v about 2 months ago and had some minor problems with it but fixed them and got it throught the m.o.t last week.

I have had the car on the road 2 days and now this has happened so thought u guys might be able to help me out and shed light on what it could be..

The glanza started to chugg today.. was fine all day and gave it no abuse the whole day just casualy driving about.. on way home i hit the boost in third gear and it started to chugg real bad so didnt boost it again on the way home

it struggles to move of in first gear and just feels like its going to die.. even when sitting idle it struggles to stay at 2000 revs and keeps dropping and rising and again just feels like it will cut out..

when it hits the boost its even worse and i dont have a clue what it is..

could it be the turbo or fuel pump?

hope someone can help here.

thanks.. Ricky

hi mate sounds like you have a missfire pretty common problem on these cars can be down to many things, rain coming through the scoop and down the plug chambers, worn plugs, worn leads, dizzee could be faulty and so the list goes on.

With this problem its a process of elimination mate, when i had this problem this was the order i went in, and some more as mine was cured with the second step.

Don't worry though this is nothing major, how mechanically minded are you ? if you have any sort of basic knowledge for it then give it a go yourself and if u get stuck just pm me mate and ill help you through it

1st take out the spark plugs and make sure there in good condition and that there is no moisture down the chamber you could even spray a TINY bit of WD40 down there just incase, obviously if the plugs are knackered replace them

2nd check the HT leads for signs of wear maby even a rip of tear in them, as before if nakered replace them

3rd check the dizzee cap make sure the plastic isnt cracked and that all the metal pins are there inside in like the four corners

4th check the rotar arm is still fully functional and still looks new not clogged up or snapped etc

If the problem still persists after these four steps let me know and ill help you take it from there but i really dont think it will tbh mate, although i would reccomend a set of NGK plugs heat range 7 £30 and magnecore HT leads £90 IIRC both of which you can buy from camskill and have delivered pretty quickly.

Hope this helps mate i know how anoying this can be so just let me know how you get on :)good luck

Jay

Admin
Yeah, I'd be looking into the ignition system to begin with although have a good visual scan of the engine bay in case something obvious is amiss. You can run a diagnostic check quite easily yourself which could assist with fault codes (Click here).

Keep us posted on how you get on,

Jay

Ricky92

Fresh Recruit
Hey guys thanks for the input..

I rang one of my friends and he came down and had a look

Heres what i have found out..

Checked the spark plugs and they seemed to be ok but i had a full service done on it about a month ago and one of the spark plugs is rusted already so didnt think that was a good sign.

checked the dizzie cap and it was cracked and the clips that hold the wires in are broken as well so dont hold them in securely.

The HT leads move up every time you start the car (dont know if this is relevant but thought i should mention it)

Rotor arm seems to be ok.

So do you think the plugs, dizzie cap and HT leads are the problem? I was quite worried the fact the spark plug was rusted already as i know it can take a long time to do that.

I ordered new plugs but actually decided to get the ones that where in the car previously to me servicing it and they are Bosch Super 4's, hopefully these will be ok.

Thanks for all the help guys was quite worried about this as the car did not sound healthy at all, but what did confuse me was that it was still trying to boost but it was if the car didnt have the power to do it and wanted to cut out every time you move of :S

Jay

Admin
The clips on the leads should be replaced. You would get a misfire and poor running if the plug isn't making a good contact on the dizzy.

As per usual with these problems you just fix each issue you find until you trace what's causing the complaint. Please keep us posted mate.

Cheers,

Jay

glad you seem to know whats going on a bit more under your bonnet now mate...i would probs say it was the dizzee causing the biggest problem if it is cracked as the leccie will be jumping away or poor connection with the leads .. i have an old dizzee in my garage i replaced a while back for my V if you would like that one its only taking up space in my car box and saves a fellow member 10-15 quid, pm me if you'd like it and ill have a double check over it but i think its sound mite help you get to the bottom of this :)

Ricky92

Fresh Recruit
Hey guys...
I got it sorted :D it turned out to be what you's lot said.. Got new spark plugs and trd ht leads with clips and thanks to chris a new distributor cap.. This has seemed to of solved the problem :) only bad side is the lead coming from the distributor to the ignition coil broke in the process of getting it out.. So i got one of a gt turbo but its to short.. Meaning the ignition coil is hanging down.. So that needs to be sortred but otherwise has done the trick :)

Thanks a lot guys really appreciate it :) happy the wee glanza is running well again :)

turboloon

Member +
well done to chris...have some rep bud nice to see folk helping others out in their hour of need there are some really great folk on this site as i too have been helped out by fellow members,nice to know there are still decent people out there...these type of folk are a credit to the site:)

Nice one ricky glad to see that it solved the problem and all you need now is a small tidy up in the bay but thats easily sorted. Hope to see your car in the members garage in the not to distant future.

As for the commments from Turboloon really appreciate them and the rep, thank you ! I'm just glad to help it is a community after all and ive had my fair share of problems with owning my V and members have gave their thoughts and opinions which have really helped me out. Also with ricky being a new member this should encourage him on to help out other members if he is in a position to do so as this is what its all about and to also make him feel welcome.

Now ricky get out and enjoy your V...safely :p

Hope to see you about TurboLoon ! need to get some sort of scottish meet sorted for summertime.

turboloon

Member +
either wallace perfomance or russ paton,would've liked to get chris (ccm)he mapped it orignally,and i must say did a rather good job of it,although it did cost me 3 points on my liscence when i got it mapped by him haha!!

Ricky92

Fresh Recruit
Thanks guys :)
If it wasnt for chris it would of cost me another 25 quid for a cap round my way.. I really do appreciate it chris mate and i owe you one now :)
I will gladly help anyone i can that was in the situation i was as now im starting to learn a hell of a lot more about my V.. So hopefully i will be able to help someone in the future :)

And also chris as far as i know i will be taking a trip to scotland this summer with my girlfriend and i have planned to take the V with me :) so we cud have a meet and inspect the V's lol :)

And yes chris ill get her cleaned up a bit and put some photos up to show you my wee pride and joy :)

Thanks again guys you lot really helped me out and i really appreciate it :)

Nice one ... How did you get points was it a live map ?

Dont be daft ricky mate im glad your learning ive learned everythin i know off this forum and yeah mate just drop me a pm when ur thinking about heading over hopefully i wont be deployed lol ! Take it easy look forward to the photos :)