grumbling gearbox

Galen

Lifer
Have an oem lsd box

Last week a fairly loud grumbling noise came into the box while driving, goes when clutched.
It gets loudest in 5th gear especially at lower revs. The lower the gear the less noticeable the noise.
Im guessing bearings from the sound but could it be the diff or the actual box itself?

dac69er

Super Moderator
could be the clutch. does it make any noise while in neutral with the clutch pedal up?

another place I would look is the inner driveshaft joints, they tend to grumble when they are getting knackered.

Galen

Lifer
No noise in neutral.
Just while in gear.
As I said loudest in 5th and you can hear the noise change slightly when under load, like lifting off and then accelerating again

Galen

Lifer
Got this sorted after, was bearings.
Luckily got it done without removing the box, just the back cover and off with the gears that side of the box and it was one of those bearings that was gone

dac69er

Super Moderator
Got this sorted after, was bearings.
Luckily got it done without removing the box, just the back cover and off with the gears that side of the box and it was one of those bearings that was gone

That's some luck. How easy was it to do in place?
I have a box with a bit of a noise, May be worth me changing that bearing if it's not too big a job.

Galen

Lifer
Mechanic friend of mine done it, had to loosen the rear mount and front gearbox mount and let engine and box drop a bit to get the room to take the back plate off.
But was ok apart from that, just remove the gears out that side and out with the bearings.

He said from doing corollas over the years its always those bearings that are nearly always the problem so was worth chancing, saved a lot of hassle now anyway

dac69er

Super Moderator
Mechanic friend of mine done it, had to loosen the rear mount and front gearbox mount and let engine and box drop a bit to get the room to take the back plate off.
But was ok apart from that, just remove the gears out that side and out with the bearings.

He said from doing corollas over the years its always those bearings that are nearly always the problem so was worth chancing, saved a lot of hassle now anyway

that is handy to know. will have to have a look at that when I get a chance :)