Quick update Lads. I almost feel like a Matrix and Servo expert after this past week lol.
So the Servo moto seems to be working fine. My only other guess is that over time the grease inside it got gunked up and and caused the worm gear and the rest of the cogs to stop working? Maybe the more technical guys hear have a better idea .
I did however, manage to snap one of the terminals on the motor inside the servo. Luckily my electrician homie was able to save the day and repair the snapped terminal.
So while the heater box was out, Starlet Guru @dac69er suggested to replace the matrix core. Toyota wanted silly money for a new one, but I found a rad specialist locally who is doing the re-core for me.
The thought of putting everything back together is giving me a headache, but everthing is bagged and labelled, with pics and vids took along the way also, so fingers crossed.
To think I nearly sold the GT 2 week ago to the Owner of the garage I use (He's massive Honda nut and preps mostly track cars, but always had a soft spot for GTs) ....but the Leon Cupra R I went to view with the hope of buying, had small swomp in inside the car. Apparently its a common fault with them and the seller decided not to tell me until I got there, as he didn't think it was much of an issue.
Either way, the GT will be staying for the foreseeable
Did kind of remind me of when I was swopping around elec window motors.
Picked up my re-cored matrix earlier. 24 hour turn from the company was awesome.
They showed me my old matrix core, needless to say it was blocked and had seen better days. I think it was still the original, so looking forward to seeing a nice difference .
Quick pic of the servo cleaned greased and ready to put back together also.
Merry Christmas guys.
I will keep this thread updated for anyone who decides to re-core their matrix or has similar issues in the future.
Quick update. So my new matrix core didnt fit correctly. Basically the oem one had circular ends on it, to slide back in to the matrix, while the new core has square ends.
I can still slide it back in to the Matrix with a bit of a shove, but I would rather it fit snug again.
So I'll contact the company who did the re-core tomorrow and see what they suggest.
Meanwhile I decided to split the matrix, to clean and replace the perished foam inside.
So I took my matrix core back to be modified, now fits perfectly.
Cleaned the heater box and blower etc, and ended up replacing the perished foam inside the matrix in the end.
I partially put my dash back in to make sure my servo was working, when I pressed air for legs, air for face etc. One of the heater doors opened and then seemed to jam again. So back to to square one.
Will investigate further over the weekend.
Just to recap, I stripped and cleaned the motor in the servo. Regreased everything and put the connecting arms back in the same position. I then tested it with a 12v battery before fitting it back to the heater box... Worked fine.... So really confused as to why it worked momentarily then stopped working again.
Thanks Jay. It was a loong fiddly process... especially replacing the foam, but after 27 years I thought I may as well get it done .
Yeah all doors move freely when the motor is disconnected. I cleaned and greased all the moving parts on this side attached in the pic.
Really strange as the motor works when not attached to the matrix etc, so a bit confused where to go from here.
I was just going to strip the motor again and remove some of the excess grease. But I doubt that will make any difference?
Starting to look like a car again. Heater matrix, dash, loom etc back in, fresh coolant and bled the system.
All seems to be working fine now. I stripped the servo damper down again and realised I had packed it with a bit too much grease. Assume thats ehy it stopped working again.
In typical fashion I bought another matrix and servo from a breaker, and I managed to get my servo working in the meantime. Oh well, sods law. It can't t hurt to have a spare as the servos are now discontinued at Toyota.
I managed to snap the clips on a couple of my heater buttons also (for those who have an eagle eye you can see in the pic) ... Gutted.... But hopefully will be buying a spare off @Jay... just waiting to hear about shipping.
If anyone has any similar heater issues or would like to get their matrox re-cored etc, feel free to ask away. I had been putting the job off for a whilw, but just decided to bite the bullet and get it done. Hopefully I won't have to do this again for another 27 years