GT not starting

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Evening all!

I left my lights on over night and came to unlock the car today and realized the alarm wasn't on.. so had to open the car by the key (i have a toad ai606 alarm with remote central locking) put the key in the ignition and noting was lighting up whatsoever.. alarm fob also wouldn't arm/disarm the alarm. everything was dead. Tried using jump leads connected to my dads Megane whilst it was running and the power came back on slightly but car wouldn't start, was struggling and then the alarm went off and i couldn't stop it. It eventually went off and tried starting the car but just made a couple of clunking sounds and died off. Is this just a case of replacing the battery? Its a halfords maintenance free one.. I would have thought it would have fired up whilst connected to another battery? Is my alarm anything to do with it?

Any help would be appreciated :)

AdamB

Member +
Sounds like the immobilser is cutting the fuel pump mate. Try connecting it again, put the key in the ignition, turn it on so that you get dash lights then press the lock/unlock button and see if that disables the immobilser allowing you to start the car.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Sounds like the immobilser is cutting the fuel pump mate. Try connecting it again, put the key in the ignition, turn it on so that you get dash lights then press the lock/unlock button and see if that disables the immobilser allowing you to start the car.

I tried that, nothing was happening when pressing any button on the alarm fob thing..

Texx

Super Moderator
Have you got the pin number for the alarm?

The alarm should go off if it's armed when the car battery goes flat, the siren has battery backup. It's one of the security features, i.e. the alarm sounds if someone attempts to disconnect the battery.

Try leaving the jump leads connected for a bit to get some charge in the battery, leave the ignition off and don't try to start the car. If the alarm goes off and you can't disarm it with the fob, then you'll need to use the pin number to get it to stop.

hookie663

Member +
try chargin the battery be fore tryin to start it its makin that noise cus nt enough battery powerthen take it from there

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
connect your dads car to yours again and use your fob to lock and unlock your car when the car unlocks then out your key in ignition and try and start the car it should start mine does this but i used a battery charger to charge my battery but as im doing this using my fob to unlock the car drains the charge straight away but u should get it first time if it connected to your dads car running

gv1.3

Admin
try chargin the battery be fore tryin to start it its makin that noise cus nt enough battery powerthen take it from there

Agreed.

When the battery is completely flat in my Glanza it wont turn over even if it is connected to another car with jump leads. I have to charge it for a couple of hours and then jump it.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Thanks for your input guys. Ill have another go tonight and report back. Ill test the battery with the multimeter 1st and see what shes reading.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Ok so went out to test the battery with the multimeter last night..

Battery read around 5-6 volts as it stands.

Reads 12.5ish when connected to my dads car whilst his was running.

My alarm light came on and the yellow light on the right hand side of the clocks (ignition thing) came on. I left it for a few minutes and then tried to start it... but no luck still. The multimeter drops back down to 5-6 volts when i tried this, this is with my dads car still connected. Dont think there was enough power to start her. Ive got my receipt for the battery from halfords which i bought in July 2011, and theres a 3 year guarantee on it... so hopefully ill be able to change it no problem and hopefully thats all i need.

Sorry to open a thread up if its just the battery that needs changing, im just never assured that its going to be an easy fix with my car :p

weeJohn

Lifer
Sounds like the battery alright, they are usually knackered when the voltage drops that much when you try the starter. Running it off another car wont charge the battery properly, you could try removing it from the car and charging it overnight on a charger to see if that brings it back to life.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Cheers mate, i went down to halfords after work and they happily replaced it for a new one. Hooked it up and started 1st time :). i thought the alarm might cause a problem, but thankfully it didnt.

weeJohn

Lifer
Good you are sorted, if you have access to a clip on multi meter, it might be worth while testing for a current drain when the car is switched off.

Arnold

Lifer
Cheers mate, i went down to halfords after work and they happily replaced it for a new one. Hooked it up and started 1st time :). i thought the alarm might cause a problem, but thankfully it didnt.

Same thing happened on my Glanza mate. I left it for a few weeks and it killed the battery completely! Luckily halfrauds swapped it and car started first time.

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
i had same problem with my halfords battery only a year old they just swapped it after sending me to two different halford auto centres to get in tested