had her for almost 9 years now... what to do

rage

Lifer
hi gang,

i'm pondering lately to do something drastic.
..... break my pride and joy...

wtf? why?? you ask

well, had het for almost 9 years now. had a GREAT deal of fun and hardships with her but all in all the chassis has seen better days. all the heavy cornering/racing has taken it's toll on her and she's squeeking/ratteling through the corners now.

so i'm faced with a decission

strip her down, build a full roll cage (welded) to stiffen up the body, fix the parts of body damage, get the whole car resprayed and carry on?

or, sell her in bits and use the money to fund a new project.
thinking about buying a boxy starler (ep70) and building a forged 5efte for it.
full rollcage, wide wheel arches, strip her down completely. no interior, no heater, hardly any dashboard. as light as possible.

seen a few ep70's that are lowered and they don;t need much bodywork to look awsome.

so.. whatta ya reccon? stick wih the ep82? or do something diffrent and go for a boxy build?

rage

Lifer
if i go for the boxy i'd be going for a build like this:

82379-2660131.jpg

long term project :)

rwdrev

Member +
this the volvo powered starvo? that looks mean as fook. Go balls out with the boxy :)

Last edited:

Pick1

Fresh Recruit
That pic of the boxy is mean as hell and if u have had the 82 for 9yrs then fair play many will of come and gone in that time and u gotta ask urself what would u prefer more a new project or stick with the old girl ?

rage

Lifer
thx, i'm so unsure what to do.. so annoying. in a way i'm a bit bored with the gt after spending 9 years with her but on the other side, could i live with breaking her?
building the forged 5efte boxy sounds like a dream to me. would have so much fun building that. but i would need the funds from the gt to do it.

aargh

Rob H

Member +
Your GT has to be one of the niceness around!! It would be a crying shame to see it broken up after all that you have put into it. With the way you go about doing things I think if you did stick to it it would turn out awesome!! BUT you need to have your hart in it for it to work out to its best. The boxy would be the same it would be a work of art when it was finished but the same again if your having withdrawals from the 82 would you give it your best lol.

At the end of the day theres only one person that can make that all important decision and thats YOU but good look what ever way you decide to go!

Ive had mine over 12 years now and could not bear to be with out it!!

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Rage mate, that EP82 is a work of art mate! You built it from scratch, to separate all the bits and time you have put into it would be a crime! Our Starlet (ep82) will soon become iconic. I know that V Powered EP7x looks nice but you are half way on your journey to having one of the best Starlets around.

In my opinion mate, I would stick with the EP82, if you really want a change just 5e it like u want :) go nuts and do something that nobody has :)

But ultimately Martin, Its your call.

:)

yaristurbo

Member +
I just realised that's your gt, super clean mate love the pics

But if your thinking it now its most likely going to happen

kemnaychris

Member +
Personally mate only u can decide that :( I had mine nears 4 years and I ended up breaking it :( it's hard for a start but once it's done its done :(

Buy a gd replacement like I did but remember the gd times tho

But u will know when it's time to move on I did and am not happy but saving a fortune on fuel now lol

Gd luck with what ever u do dude

Ur in holland smoke a doob n have a long think lol love holland btw :) pity the laws are changed and changing

rage

Lifer
don't care much about the fuel etc. would be building a replacement toy anyway :) have 3 cars so the GT is just used as a weekend toy anyway.
just thinking about going a bit more extreme and using a boxy starlet. so whatever i decide to do it won't be goodby for me :)

malcolmgt

Member +
my view is if i got my car to where I liked I would never ever break it or sell it. dama i would let it wrote first!

save some money up on the side and buy a box and give yourself a project if your bored maybe, but dont sell your beast. love reading all the work you do!

rosso321

Member +
my view is if i got my car to where I liked I would never ever break it or sell it. dama i would let it wrote first!

save some money up on the side and buy a box and give yourself a project if your bored maybe, but dont sell your beast. love reading all the work you do!

X2 very impressive read love the work

rage

Lifer
i've decided what i'm gonna do.

first! finnish the current build that is in my workshop (complete restauration of a carina TA12 1972)
after that i'll be looking for a boxy starlet to start the project. will build the body/rollcage etc. and then i will decide if i break the 82 or not.

my wife said i should keep the 82 and start the boxy project and see how things roll from there.
Who am i to argue with the misses ^^